• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Stinky Pigs

elve

Banned
Why is it, when you've dragged a load of long hair, hay and gunk from a boy piggies bum, that the smell stays with you for hours afterwards? :?

Sorry - just wanted to share that :mrgreen:

Pew - where's me perfume bottle?

Is it right that with boy pigs you also have to squeeze some stuff out from their anal glands and it's utterly rank? The other night my mum was talking about having to do it for some of the entire boars that came into rescue and how awful it was, but my self preservation mechanism kicked in then and I blanked the rest out :lol:

i know when i was a kid Waffle my male piggie used to get an impacted rectum. it was vile.

i think its supposed to be quite common in older boars. and now we've got gideon im not looking forwad to his older years :shock: ive been that used to just having girl piggies who are much cleaner :lol:

Is it right that with boy pigs you also have to squeeze some stuff out from their anal glands and it's utterly rank? The other night my mum was talking about having to do it for some of the entire boars that came into rescue and how awful it was, but my self preservation mechanism kicked in then and I blanked the rest out :lol:

No it's not their anal glands it's.....:roll: she's blanked out the horror again I bet :lol:

They eat their poops like rabbits do, but the boy pigs have a kind of 'handbag' on their bum, to keep their poo in till it's needed (useful!) Because boys tend to do a lot more scent marking than girls, they drag their posteriors along the ground and rub their bum on the hay to scent mark it, and unfortunately as they get older the 'clasp' on their 'handbag' gets a bit weak, and all sorts of junk ends up in there, along with white mucus (sorry! - she's fainted now hasn't she :lol: ) and it can build up to such an extent that they actually can't poo, and of course if you can't poo, you die :shock: So it needs the occasional clean out with some baby oil and cotton bud, being very careful not to poke too hard or you can do them an internal injury :?

Having said that, I've not cleaned a pigs bum for about a year or so - but they're all young. I had to clean Charlie pigs after he got neutered as it got impacted even though he was young - it was full of dried poops strung together like sausages, poor boy :(

Sorry Neil - were you having sausages for tea? :p

The horror, the horror :lol: :lol:

I'm just suddenly very glad that the pigs arriving on Tuesday are both sows ;)

(Love the 'handbag' analogy :lol: )

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I know exactly what you mean elve!!!

Our elderly piggie, Bailey, gets impaction and has his bum cleaned out 3 times a day!!

The smell is like nothing else I've ever smelt in my life:shock: :shock: !!!!

I mean, I'm a nurse and even nasty necrotic wounds don't have a patch on the smell of a pigges rear!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nicola

:lol: I have to say I am USELESS at handling the bunnies - those piggies are so not scary, even when in a temper and chuntering at me :D Milo and Olly are the worst though - when I groom them they go for my throat - can you imagine how scary that would be if they were bunnies? :shock:

I've got 10 boys going to enjoy their old age with me - guess I'd better stock up on Q-tips :roll:

Back