• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What are tiny hutches actually useful for??!

Morrigan1981

Mama Doe
I went out to Meadowhall retail park today and wandered past the hutches outside Jolleys. One of them was tiny (about 3ft) but to be fair, although there was a picture of a rabbit on the packaging the store had labelled it as suitable for GPs only (actually I woudn't put a pig in a 3ft hutch either, but I appreciated what they were saying). However, on top of this was another hutch which was unbelievably small - 60cm x 30cm x 30cm. I couldn't believe it. Seriously, what animals do pet manufacturers market these hutches as being suitable for??! That's barely enough space for a hamster :cry:

These manufacturers cater for people who, believe it or not, are actually too stupid to realise a baby animal will grow :shock:

they are crazy aren't they. what is the point of them? I've seen runs no bigger than small cages before. :roll:

Sadly I think you're all right :cry: It's absolutely bonkers: I looked at that teeny hutch and thought that even a baby piggie wouldn't be able to popcorn about in that :evil: There was no label on it (other than price) so I have no idea what pet the manufacturers thought it might be suitable for :shock: I dread to think how many baby bunnies and piggies end up stuck in that sort of accomodation for life :cry:

Surely if the RSPCA recommend a minimum space, legislation should fall into line with that so it's illegal to manufacture or sell a hutch that's less than that space?

AMETHYST

Surely if the RSPCA recommend a minimum space, legislation should fall into line with that so it's illegal to manufacture or sell a hutch that's less than that space?

AMETHYST

No, I don't think so, because the RSPCA is not the sole authority on pet care. You have FOCAS, the Pet Care Trust, all the individual animal societies (RWA, BRC etc.) who all have their own guidelines...so who's to say which one is the ultimate authority? A very grey area in legislation terms :?

they're quite good to fit width-ways in a 6' x 4' shed as a cozy area and waterbottle holder :D also good for outdoor tortoise house ;)

Rip the doors off and use em as a hide out in a nice big outside run!

I actually DID that once! Someone was selling a hutch in the paper and said it was in very good condition, so I went around for a look. When I got there and they showed me the 'hutch', I nearly FAINTED!!!!! It was literally 22 inches long !!!!!!!!:shock: :shock: :evil: But it WAS in excellent shape, and was only £10.......so I bought it, took it home, removed the door from it, and put it in one of my runs for a shelter.....it worked a treat!:D :D But WHY anyone would actually MAKE one that size with doors on for use as a hutch was TOTALLY beyond me!!!!!:evil: :evil: :evil:

I think overall area should get emphasised more. My pair have a 3'x2' hutch (with it's doors) for shelter. But the overall size of their enclosure (which they have 24/7 access to) is bigger than those 6' hutch/run combos. I'd rather see a big run and a smaller hutch.

But I agree, for simplicity in explaining what's suitable and because you can't rely on people matching them up with a big run - they shouldn't be sold in pet shops as suitable for bunnies.

Until Smokie chewed it to bits (thanks Jill ;) :lol: :lol: ) he and Trinny had a 30" hutch inside their playhouse as a bedroom, before that I had bought it specifically as a shelter for inside the run. Now they have a 2 tier 3 ft hutch, Smokie is working hard on it, he has already eaten the door frame :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Back