• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Tortoise house FAO: Touie and BBun

Maizy

Mama Doe
Following on from the weather thread, here's the house as it is at the moment. We still have to line it, re felt it and of course the wood preserve, but hoping it will be finished either today or tomorrow. What with this and the new hutches, the garden looks like a DIY work shop at the moment!:lol: :lol: :lol: Neighbours must love us!:lol:

tortoisehouse.jpg

can't see it, think there's a bracket missing at the beginning of the link:D

ooh cross post its there now, looks very nice :lol:

what size is it? and what tortoises do you have :D

Any photos of the tortoises? I've always wanted to have the little turtles that live in water and on land, not sure what you call them. But then I read about them, and saw how big they can get, and I could not afford or find the space for a big enough terrarium.

It's a 4ft converted rabbit hutch. My o'h made me a wonderful house before, very similar in shape which lasted years and years. This one isn't as deep, but it's fine ( or will be) as a day shelter.
I have had my spur thighed tortoises since I was 11 ( 42 now). They don't stay outside anymore for security reasons, but they have a 20ftx10ft enclosure with their own bit of lawn and slate area so they can bask in the sun, sit and graze on the grass or slink in their own sunken bath! ( it's a sunken 16" plant dish really, but it's ideal as a bath, water hole for them).:lol: :lol:

Any photos of the tortoises? I've always wanted to have the little turtles that live in water and on land, not sure what you call them. But then I read about them, and saw how big they can get, and I could not afford or find the space for a big enough terrarium.

Think you probably mean terrapins? I will get some piccies.:lol:

I think I have to come visit some day. :D How big are your tortoises? And do they sleep during winter or is it not cold enough here? I know my mother's neighbour's tortoises sleep for a few months.

I think I have to come visit some day. :D How big are your tortoises? And do they sleep during winter or is it not cold enough here? I know my mother's neighbour's tortoises sleep for a few months.

Nice close up piccies, just being blue toothed accross from the Mac, will be with you shortly. Meantime, here's a family pic.:D

groupshot2.jpg

They don't stay out in the winter they do hibernate, but not for as long as they used to ( mid Novemeber to March usually).:D Definitely come down for a visit! Can't promise the Chinese will be a good as yours however, but more than welcome to try!:D :D

Awwww, they look lovely, and so shiny. The ones I saw in Greece were always very dusty.

I use olive oil three or four times a year,as their shells do take a lot of hammering scrabbling through the bushes etc.. Especially Bertha, being the girlie, gets all the male attention and it is by no means 'nice'!:lol: The boys have a lot to learn when it comes to 'wooing' just no manners these days,:shock: let alone a nice meal, flowers or presents!:lol: :lol:

Here's Miss Munchkin she's a 1 year old hermanni, I'm just downloading pics of my turtles :D
july07044.jpg

july07046.jpg

Arrrr she's a sweetie :D. I do not know the exact age of mine. From the piccie Bertha is on the far left. She is the oldest but I've had her the least amount of time. I was told she was about 30 at the time which would put her well into her 50's now. The boys I had when I was a wee girlie and they were about 4-7 years old, so possibly late 30's early 40's.:D

not all turtles grow big, I could direct you to some smaller species if you were interested in them ;)

Here's pics of 2 of mine I didn't take many as the flash seemed to upset them!!!
Sparky who is a male map turtle
july07048.jpg

and Spook who is a Cooter (very big species :shock: )
july07049.jpg

Finally got a couple of coats of paint on ( just before it started raining again:shock: :lol: ). Just the door and ramp to replace, lining and felt!:D Another trip to Homebase in the morning:roll:

house3.jpg

Lately ive been really fancyin getting a turtle/tortoise:rolleyes:.

They are adorable little things:D

are they hard to keep? x

BB the tortoise has calcium powder and nutrobal sprinkled over her food, the turtles don't have anything special.

Pringle once you've got suitable setups they very easy to care for :D

Back