• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

need some advice

elaine

Mama Doe
I am in a right dilema.

Recently I rehomed 2 rabbits to a lady and did the homecheck etc no problem these were the 2 blue rexs mum and daughter,

Last night at 9.45 she turns up on the doorstep (less than impressed) and says she has a major problem they are fighting badly and one is bleeding, so I say well you need to seperate them and get them spayed and try to re introduce them once they are settled, ideally get them tot he vet for treatment which she wouldn't do as she couldn't afford it and she was going out

She then had to borrow a cat basket to put one in as apparantly she had n oway of seperting them, she is fetching them back today to be spayed but here is my dilema

1) I have a real feeling that she is keeping them both in a small hutch but how do I prove it?? as she showed me a brand new 6 ft one but I feel deep down that wasn't hers

2)If they are a mess when they come in what do I say??

3) my other option which I am no good at doing is say one has died when being spayed and let her have 1 back
which is a rotten thing to do

Or does anyone have any other options I know my paperwork says that I can take them back but I wouldn't want the hassle of her

Elaine

Can you not say that you will drop them back to her and then you can see the living arrangements again?

Apart from that, I am not sure if there is much else you can do..... I don't think that saying one died will help, as she could just go out and get another one and be in the same situation....

Difficult if you have already homechecked...all I would do is go round..before she drops them to you..can always say you thought you were meant to pick up..and check again.....
if they are in a mess.when they get to you..keep them..tell her..WHEN YOU HAVE THEM..they are not being returned due to ..A ..B ..etc...which breaks the adoption agreement..
good luck!

Difficult if you have already homechecked...all I would do is go round..before she drops them to you..can always say you thought you were meant to pick up..and check again.....
if they are in a mess.when they get to you..keep them..tell her..WHEN YOU HAVE THEM..they are not being returned due to ..A ..B ..etc...which breaks the adoption agreement..
good luck!

Ditto to the above

Janex

awful situation :?

i would definatly check their accomodation again .

if its not suitable then yes i would take them back ...hassle or not .

Angie

if they need vet care and she cant/wont get it ....surely that is reason enough to take them back:?

I would take them back, if she said she cant afford to take them to the vets because one is bleeding how is she going to afford to have them treated if they become seriously ill? :D Also the other reason she gave for not being able to take them to the vets is because she is going out :? I know I would cancel any arrangements if mine needed to see a vet :D

I put my holiday off to get my bunny treated! "going out"! thats just bull:censored:

If thats the excuse, she must have broken an adoption contract? (verbal or not)

i have been up to hers today before she came here and have brought both buns back, they are not to bad it is more the younger one that has the wounds (teeth marks). As suspected she has a small hutch and not the one I saw so they are back here now until she goes and provides proper accomodation and hay and better food,
I also advised her if and when they go back that I willbe visiting regularly with only a hrs notice

I am hoping now that she doesn't bother getting a bigger hutch and then I can find them a better home

Elaine

good luck!

Sounds like the best plan. You need to see for yourself xxx

I would just let her bring the rabbits round, smile sweetly, say whatever she wants to hear, then shut the door and yell from an upstairs window - 'Oy you! Remember that adoption agreement you signed? Breach of contract!' and slam the window shut - poor bunnies :(

:lol: :lol:

That would be an easy option!!!!!:p :lol:

Yes, I DEFINATELY think I would not let her get her hands on them again once I had them safely back from her! If they don't mean any more than THAT to her.......where she won't even take them to the vet to have treatment because she doesn't want to spoil her plans for the day.......then she doesn't deserve to have them.:censored: :evil: Does she not REALISE how quickly infections can set in?????:?

TAKE THE BUNNIES AND RUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If she's sneaky enough to lie to you about it in the first place and won't bother/can't afford emergency treatment already (as it's not as if they've cost her a fortune - she hasn't even paid out for a big hutch!) I wouldn't let her have them back at all :? It's a shame to take up rescue space with them but there's no point running a rescue just to rehome to the kind of situation these rabbits come to you from in the first place

Did she have an excuse as to why they weren't in the hutch you saw? :(

That's what I was thinking. She lied to you in the first place about the hutch, actually going through the deception of showing you a hutch that wasn't hers.

I wouldn't let her adopt any rabbits from you tbh, I wouldn't trust her now even if she did go and buy a bigger hutch, nothing to stop her selling it when she's short of cash etc. So much of rehoming is done on trust of what the person says they'll do and if she's broken that trust I really wouldn't let her have them back

That's what I was thinking. She lied to you in the first place about the hutch, actually going through the deception of showing you a hutch that wasn't hers.

I wouldn't let her adopt any rabbits from you tbh, I wouldn't trust her now even if she did go and buy a bigger hutch, nothing to stop her selling it when she's short of cash etc. So much of rehoming is done on trust of what the person says they'll do and if she's broken that trust I really wouldn't let her have them back

I agree. What an awful situation for you Elaine :? I really think that if you can be bold enough you should phone her and tell her the adoption agreement has been breached and you cannot risk sending the rabbits back to her for the following reasons:

1. She deceived you into believing they would have an appropriate hutch.
2. She has refused to take the rabbits for veterinary treatment, firstly because she cannot afford it and secondly, she had to go out.

Both of these do not show that she is a caring and willing owner. She has signed a contract and has not fulfilled the requirements. If she rants or threatens you just say you will have to take legal action if she persists and that may make her disappear.

Then you can find an owner that IS willing to give these two buns the home they deserve:D

Also I hope you don't feel to blame at all, people can be very snidy and seem great!

Good Luck!!!!!

Back