• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Daisy poo bum U/D Daisy didn't make it

Lucy

Warren Veteran
Daisy our 10 week old has started getting a poo bum! She was cleaned up but then got runny poo all over her bum again. I am wondering if it is her change in diet or if it may be the panacur she's on. I have been trying to find out a minimum age for the Panacur, nothing on box and can't find the info on the internet either. Any ideas?

Last edited:
I've never given my rabbits Panacur but I know with dogs and cats it can give them a dodgy tummy ...

We have no idea what she was eating before as they woman literally pushed her and her stuff into the fosterers arms and ran off. She wanted rid and wasn't hanging around!

Some people:evil: . How old is she? Perhaps just put her on nothing but hay for a day to see if that settles her? Though if she's very young I don't know if that's feasable. I know nothing about young bunnies.

My vet said to give half a graduation to a baby bunny for 9 days. Mine was a similar age to yours. Could it be stress related.

I think I would get her checked out Lucy as this could be coccidiosis which is very common in baby buns:(

I am hearing too many accounts of Panacur Rabbit causing GI problems :?
Spoke with the manufacturers Vet advisers and they said it should not be given to a Bun weighing less than 1kg :?

Hope baby Bun will be OK

Janex

Daisy is 1.1kg, so just over that. Her tummy has been gurgling but otherwise she seems ok. She's going in to the vet tomorrow to be checked over.

This is what the fosterer said after the vets trip...

So the vet didnt have much good to say, he felt her tummy, and listened to her tummy, and then said there wasnt much he could do, and if in 48 hours she is still the same then it doesnt look good. he gave me something to try and dry up her poo and a rehydrating mix to go with her water. He said it could be anything from being moved around and different food, to being seriously ill, but with her being so small, and given that we dont know anything much about her, there isnt much he can do.

Poor Daisy, I don't know what we can do her her, any advice?

Have the vets given her any fluids at all? or any bio lapis to put in water to help the gut? Poor bunny sending lots of vibes, but I wouldn't of been that happy with the vets response. Is it a very bad case of sticky bum or proper runny stolls? What food as she changed from and too?

Have a look at Jane's thread about penecillin induced enteritis - it might give you some ideas as it's basically gut dysbiosis.

It must be runny poo as it is happening as she sits.

Is there mucus in the diarrhoea?
Have the Vets tested a faecal sample for coccidia?
Is baby Bun bright and still eating? If not has analgesia/subcutaneous fluids/syringe feeds/heat therapy been given?
If gut dysbiosis is suspected Questran could be prescribed along with the probiotics.
My UNQUALIFIED advice would be that fluids/warmth and analgesia are essential aswell as assisted feeding if Bun is not eating

Poor Baby Bun :cry:

Janex

I asked Kirsty to have a look at your questions and this is what she said...

I'm no analyst of poo, some days it seems runnier, right now it seems dryer, but its not normal that much I know. As for mucus I have no idea.

Sometimes she seems bright eyed and others she seems very lathargic (i cant spell that word sorry), but I was under the impression when she came she was a lathargic bunny anyway, so it's hard to tell what is from feeling poorly and what is just her nature. She still grooms her self but not her bum and she chews on her hay and straw, but she hasn't touched her food, can I try giving her a carrot? before she was poorly she only ate a small amount of dry food but she gobbled down what fresh food I gave her. Since Saturday I haven't given her anything and I wanted to see if she will eat other stuff then dry food. Also the food she was eating before she came was a brand called wag because the last bit of the bag was left here along with everything else!

What I most want help on right now, is how to clean her, he bum just seems to get messier even though I try to clean her up, but I know her back feet/paws will start getting sores on them if i cant keep her clean because it happened to my old bun before he died. Yet I don't want to distress her either.

I havent been told to syringe feed her, and I have no idea how to do that, but I dont think I can force more stuff down her I am already making her have the panacur and then this new stuff 3 times a day to help dry up her poo, and now this re hydrating water mix that i have to give her in her bottle but also to syringe 3 or 4 times thats like 8 times i have to force stuff into her, and i feel bad though she doesnt protest too much really.

The vets took no stool samples, and have given her nothing but this fibreplex and the water mix, i don't know if there is bio lapis in the water mix because i dont know what that is!

Most of all I just want her to get better, or at least know how seriously sick she is, could it be like human babys after a jab (she had a myxi jab) they get poorly, or just so much stress i mean ive only had her a week, and she is just a baby, so much has happened to her in this last week, id feel ill too. I want to leave her be and let her settle but I cant because she might have a proper sickness that really needs all this medicine and stuff.

I asked Kirsty to have a look at your questions and this is what she said...

I'm no analyst of poo, some days it seems runnier, right now it seems dryer, but its not normal that much I know. As for mucus I have no idea.

Sometimes she seems bright eyed and others she seems very lathargic (i cant spell that word sorry), but I was under the impression when she came she was a lathargic bunny anyway, so it's hard to tell what is from feeling poorly and what is just her nature. She still grooms her self but not her bum and she chews on her hay and straw, but she hasn't touched her food, can I try giving her a carrot? before she was poorly she only ate a small amount of dry food but she gobbled down what fresh food I gave her. Since Saturday I haven't given her anything and I wanted to see if she will eat other stuff then dry food. Also the food she was eating before she came was a brand called wag because the last bit of the bag was left here along with everything else!

What I most want help on right now, is how to clean her, he bum just seems to get messier even though I try to clean her up, but I know her back feet/paws will start getting sores on them if i cant keep her clean because it happened to my old bun before he died. Yet I don't want to distress her either.

I havent been told to syringe feed her, and I have no idea how to do that, but I dont think I can force more stuff down her I am already making her have the panacur and then this new stuff 3 times a day to help dry up her poo, and now this re hydrating water mix that i have to give her in her bottle but also to syringe 3 or 4 times thats like 8 times i have to force stuff into her, and i feel bad though she doesnt protest too much really.

The vets took no stool samples, and have given her nothing but this fibreplex and the water mix, i don't know if there is bio lapis in the water mix because i dont know what that is!

Most of all I just want her to get better, or at least know how seriously sick she is, could it be like human babys after a jab (she had a myxi jab) they get poorly, or just so much stress i mean ive only had her a week, and she is just a baby, so much has happened to her in this last week, id feel ill too. I want to leave her be and let her settle but I cant because she might have a proper sickness that really needs all this medicine and stuff.

What is the medication being given to 'dry up her poo' ?
Has she had any analgesia? If her guts are inflammed she may well be in some pain which will stop her eating
Unscented Baby wipes can be used to clean her. She needs to be bedded on Vetbed which will require changing several times a day.
You could try to get her to eat some Blackberry Leaves. They are good for Buns with diarrhoea as they alter the PH balance (acidity/alkalinity) of the guts making it a less favourable environment for 'bad bacteria' to multiply.
The Vet may want to consider prescribing Questran to inhibit the absorption of 'bad gut bacteria' into the bloodstream.
If Bun is passing lots of diarrhoea several times a day she will require subcutaneous fluids after EVERY bowel movement. Oral hydration is seldom sufficient ( Advice given to me by my Rabbit Savvy Vet)

I hope Baby Bun shows some improvement soon

Janex

I've passed that on and asked her to jot it down and take the info to the vets to ask him about it.

when did she have the myxi jab? she seems really young & far too poorly to have been having vaccinations. i would have thought you would only give vaccs to anyone/thing in tip top condition..? not a critiscism- just worried for her. good luck sweet heart x

Back