• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Do bunnies loose weight in the summer?

sillyrabbit

Wise Old Thumper
Trip and Scarlett are looking quite thin around their back :shock: I havent changed their diet and they are eating the same amounts as Buu who is a bigger bunny but she hasnt lost any weight :?

I have been watching them for a few days eating now and they are both eating the same amount of food, ones not eating it all or anything. And the both of them eat an awful lot of hay everyday.

My bunnies are all moulting at the moment and I only noticed after I gave the pair of them a real good brush, and now im starting to worry. Can bunnies get types of worms or anything that make them loose weight? They seem fine in themselves and arent acting any different :?

Several things can make a rabbit lose weight (worms, e-cuniculi, etc.) - if you weigh them every week you can keep track of it more easily, and if you're really worried, pop them to the vets maybe :)

When my rabbits moult though, I do give them a handful of extra pellets as I've noticed they get a bit run down - stands to reason they will doesn't it, making all that new fur etc? I also give them bromelain tablets from holland and barrett, with the pineapple enzyme, to keep their gut contents moist and chugging along properly :)

Moulting can make a huge difference in looks - when I brush all the tufts out of my dog (she's a German Shepherd so they have a big tufty heavy moult twice a year) she looks totally different despite being the same weight!

Thanks hun :D My brother suggested worms last night but thought there would be other signs of e-cuniculi if they had that :oops: I will call the vets now :D I think the last time I weighed them was 3 weeks ago :oops: They were fine then so they have lost weight pretty quickly :shock:

I didnt really think about them getting run down during a moult :( I will give them extra pellets and see if I can get those tablets from the health shop here :D

How much have they lost? It's good you weigh them that's a much better way to monitor weight :)

My Muffin doesn't weigh any less but he looks quite a bit thinner round his back end as he's just finished a really heavy moult

Not sure how much they have actually lost because I just take them to the vet and pop them on the scales, thats why its been three weeks :oops: I usually go once a month or so which isnt really often enough :oops: But they were the same weight then as they were the time before that when the vet weighed them because the vet had written down their weight on the invoice and I took it with me. My scales here dont even move when I try and weigh them I really need to get some better ones. So I havent actually weighed them and said they are thinner they just look thinner to me and my family.

I have called the vets and she said they are closed and I asked if I could maybe see someone and when she asked what was wrong I said that Trip and Scarlett look to me like they have lost weight and she said its hardly an emergency and it will wait until monday :?

My Muffin doesn't weigh any less but he looks quite a bit thinner round his back end as he's just finished a really heavy moult

Really :D Its their back ends that look thinner so that makes me feel better, thank you x Im still going to get them checked out though just incase x

You can get cheap digital kitchen scales which go up to 5kg and are accurate within 1g from Argos/Woolies -
http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/8406699.htm
I've got the next model up from that (this one) and it works really well, you can take the bowl off and put a carrier on top, zero it, plop bun in and voila!

Great idea :D

And no, it's not an emergency - I think the less trips to the vets the better really, as it's so stressful for them - it has to be an emergency for me to take them.

Thanks hun x I have just been searching the forum for scales to see what people recommended :lol: I might get some veterinary scales, I have worked so much overtime the last few months and im sure they would be a very useful thing to have :D

I don't think you really need them to be honest? These ones are cheap and cheerful but great - little too so don't have to find much space to store them! Really easy to use and run on a 9V battery (which lasts ages as long as you remember to turn it off!)
I think accurant to 1g is fine enough for normal buns, if it was something like handraised babies I could understand but I don't see it being a big deal with adult rabbits

I don't think you really need them to be honest? These ones are cheap and cheerful but great - little too so don't have to find much space to store them! Really easy to use and run on a 9V battery (which lasts ages as long as you remember to turn it off!)
I think accurant to 1g is fine enough for normal buns, if it was something like handraised babies I could understand but I don't see it being a big deal with adult rabbits

Ah thanks for that hun xxx Those ones you have look good :D

Back