• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I have found a great way of getting rid of rabbit waste.

My local council have started introducing garden bins for £36 a year they are the huge 240litre bins. They will take away grass, garden waste etc and shredded paper. If they start weighing our rubbish and charging accordingly I will definately be getting one especially as I now know I can put shredded paper in them which I bed my rabbit on and hay is the same as grass, so I am well chuffed with this news. They get collected on a fortnightly basis and you can have as many bins as you like!

Last edited:
:( Awww - I was excited for a minute then - my council left a note on my garden bin saying they refuse to collect animal waste....although we don't pay for that - maybe it's a new thing they'll introduce! Oooh I feel all hopeful again now :D

Mine will also collect garden waste . . . but apparently rabbit waste is not allowed, and neither are vegetable peelings :? So worth checking the small print first.

I just asked our bin men one day when they were emptying the bins if it was ok for me empty my rabbits litter trays into bags and put them in the same bins as our house rubbish and they said it was fine :D

Mine goes in the brown bin too, but I cover it with a couple of inches of cuttings etc just in case!! Just megazorb(which is wood pulp anyway)and rabbit poo..can't be more biodegradable than that surely?:roll: )

Well I got told off when I did that H! :shock: Apprently because its animal waste as someone has already said - but I agree rabbit poo is just grass anyway ??!!! :lol:

Yea , I guess. I have a lot more poo to hide than you tho! :shock: :lol:

Slippers are fine ;) Velcro strap sandals are NOT! :lol:

Last edited:
Why oh why cant you put it in your brown bin, everyone knows rabbit poo and pee is a good compost activator, flipping council needs to get a grip, if we blacked bagged all out rabbit waste then it goes to the landfill not the compost heap.

So what are we trying to do...........recycle:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: so we have less waste going into the landfill sites, so have it out with your local council about this, I did and was told yes you can put it in the brown bin.

As you can tell it's a sore point with me.

At the moment I'm trying to get a second brown bin, but was told they were too popular so stopped giving out extra bins:shock: :censored: :shock: :censored: :shock: :censored: :shock: :censored:

I was told that we couldn't put rabbit waste (literally straw, hay and megazorb, no sawdust) into the 'green' waste :roll: It irritates me too, becasue I have a couple of compost bins and I know it degrades fine! If I had more garden and could use it fast enough, I'd just put it all into my own compost bins, but I just don't go through it fast enough :(

I was told that we couldn't put rabbit waste (literally straw, hay and megazorb, no sawdust) into the 'green' waste :roll: It irritates me too, becasue I have a couple of compost bins and I know it degrades fine! If I had more garden and could use it fast enough, I'd just put it all into my own compost bins, but I just don't go through it fast enough :(

You can *stamps feet* oh god this makes me so mad, ask why, ask if you could put it in your compost bin? They when they say yes ask what the difference is between your compost bin and theirs.

I'll tell you the difference their compost heap has a higher temp than a normal household compost bin so it kills all the nasty stuff quicker and composts quicker.
They have big chipping machines that chip everything down to tiny bits, so is composts down faster.

*Rant over*

I agree its crazy - they let me throw all mine in the non-recyclable waste but won't compost it!! Its rediculous. AND when they've made the compost they sell it back to the public!

This is a long standing sore point with me too, so I promise to keep the rant to a minimum!:lol: :lol: TVBC will not have it in their green bins/sacks, neither will they take it at the recycling centres. I have to double bag it and take it to the recycling centre as 'household waste'. I have two compost bins and an allotment so try and use as much as poss myself. It's scandalous how much good compostable material goes to waste as 'household' rubbish. When I raised the issue with the council they acknowledged and said they appreciated customers were 'frustrated' at the limited range of items that the council could take for recycling. They were hoping to be able to expand the range in time. Bottom line here is cold harsh cash. the systems they have in place to process the waste are inadequate at dealing with the range produced by households ( not just hutch clippings). They won't take 'shredded' paper here as it cloggs up the lorry parts. It has to be 'whole' or big strips. Bad news for those trying to shred documents and protect themselves from identity theft! - sorry not quite as short as I'd said :oops: :oops:

well in the news they have said that they will probably in the future fit chips to everyones normal bins and start charging by the weight. I refuse to pay for this as well as everything else, so I looked into getting one of the brown bins for my garden waste @ £36 per annum. I have looked into what I can put in one and they will take shredded paper in mine. At the moment I put mine in a black sack and throw it in with my normal rubbish, as there is too much to put into the compost bin!

Back