• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Back from spay- Pain relief for when the current dose wears off?

mabster

Young Bun
Heelllo :)

The buns are back fae their speying/castrating. Bailey is jumping around and munching away.
Oakley on the other hand only nibbled a tiny of hay. I am trying to tempt her with banana, apple and their favourite- spring greens. They have been home two hours. If she does not start eating when should I worry? A few hours? Should I try to syringe feed her? If so, what do I feed her?

Cheer in advance and lovely vibes to all yer buns

Mabs

Last edited:
I'd give her another couple of hours, some bunnies are quicker to bounce back then others. I don't think Smokey ate properly until the next day when she was spayed. Personally, if she is eating a bit of hay, I'd be reluctant to stress her out with syringe feeding. If she has all her favourite foods within reach, she will probably be ok and start munching when she feels able.

If you have to syringe feed her, have you got any recovery formula? If not, you could mash uh some of her pellets but really, if she is eating a bit, I'd leave it.

Have you got a follow up appointment?

No recovery formula. Don't know what that is... :(
No follow up appointment but have been told you go along if required. Stitches will dissolve on their own.
I shall follow your advice and leave her be for a bit :) I think she is a bit sore. She is currently in a corner not moving.

Poor little scamps..

Cheers for noo

Mabs

Sometimes they don't properly wake up till about 2am - if you are around to temp her then, she might be a bit more enthusiastic about food. As syringing is so stressful, and she might tear her internal stitches struggling, I'd leave it till tomorrow tea time and only then if she's eaten nothing, in which case mush up some pellets with a splash of hot water from the kettle - you might need to cut the end off a syringe to fit it through. Have you done syringing before?

Also check she's drinking - they usually prefer a bowl right next to them as they don't want to move - or you could actually put the spout of her water bottle near her mouth, which made Tia drink.

She will probably need more painkillers Sunday unfortunately, as she won't eat if she's in pain :(

I would ring your vet for a follow up appointment either late tomorrow or Sunday if possible. Really, both bunnies should be seen a few days after their ops by a vet/nurse to check everything is healing OK. It should be covered by your fee for the original ops.

Oakley has started eating :D I knew fresh spring greens would tempt her! She's even gone to her litter tray for a wee and a poop. The nutter is also going up and down the slope to the next level.

Gotta love em :)

Mabs

Oh that's great she's eating, but be aware she's had strong painkillers and so may damage herself exercising too much, as she won't feel any pain till Sunday - they are meant to be in a smallish area post spay.

Thats the middle section blocked off. I have also put a pet carrier in the bottom section for her to hide/snuggle.

Are there painkillers that I can get tomorrow that I can administer through water etc?

She was given: Domitor, Torbgesic, Ketaset, Rimadyl and Antisedan. I googled them :)

No you have to get them from a vet, unless they've given you metacam? Some do and some don't - it's a powerful drug so I think they are right not to give it out really.

She might be fine - but usually they start looking a bit shell-shocked on day 3 (which will be Sunday) - let's hope for the best, but just so you know, you can pop her to the emergency vet for a shot of painkiller (and a shot in your wallet too :rolleyes: )

Emergency vet?? Sadly no night clinics here.
The vet is more used to call outs to cattle and sheep I think ;)
I shall inquire tomorrow about meds and to see if I can take her in on sunday.

Back