• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Holiday Care

foxyfaerie

Mama Doe
Hey everyone, I'm being prepared!

I'm going away for a week at the end of August and am considering my options for Lucifer.

My mam's going to have a key for my house, so she could come up once or twice a day to feed her - but I don't think she'd be much company.

Although I haven't asked her, I know my best friend would take her my only problem with that is she has 2 dogs & toddler.

I know some vets take animals while the owners are away but I know from experience (I did work experience in my vets) that my vets don't have much cage-space.

My last option (as far as I'm aware) would be a "bunny hotel". I've looked in the yellow pages and there's one place that takes "dogs, cats birds & small animals". I've never done this before so want to know whether it's "normal" to go and look around the place first; what sort of questions should I ask; what sort of rate I can expect to pay; and anything I need to be aware of that I might not know?

Also, if anyone else here is in West Cumbria can you recommend somewhere that would look after her for a week?

Hi, we run a small animal boarding business in South Yorkshire and I would definitely suggest you go and look around first as accomodation and levels of care can vary enormously. I'm not saying ALL but a lot of the dog/cat boarding facilities that also take small pets literally have them in hutched accomodation all the time and other than them getting food and water there is no interaction with them at all.

You wouldn't send your kid to a school without visiting or knowing something about it first and your pets are pet of the family so it should be any different when arranging their care.

Make sure your bun is going to get some exercise and not just be left shut in the hutch 24/7, that they are checked every day for illness and/or flystrike, that they insist on vaccinations being up to date and that they check they are, that there is veterinary care available 24 hours, that they are knowledgeable in looking after your type of pet. That they have shelter from hot or wet weather. Ask how often bedding is changed, what they use to disinfect the hutches between boarders, if they have quarantine facilities should an animal become ill etc. These are just a few things to check, I'm sure others will add more.

As for cost again it can vary widely, but I've generally found it averages between £3 and £5.50 a day per rabbit for boarding, depending on where in the country you are and the service provided. HTH :wave:

im lucky as i know a vet nurse that takes bunnies. I pay £2.50 per night for both bunnies! £2 per night for one. They get a big run with hutch inside and loads of stuff to keep them occupied. I would def go to haave a look around and ask loads of questions. you want your bunny well looked after!

Im looking for somewhere for mine to stay too but im not having much luck. Although im not going away for a while so still have time to find somewhere :D The places I have looked at so far dont have large enough cages of hutches so im thinking of just paying someone to care for them at home :D Still need to find someone to do that though :lol:

I run a small pets boarding service and I am pleased to show people around, if you do find somewhere to potentially board your furry friend I would always suggest having a look around and a good boarding place will always be happy to oblige or answer any questions you have.
All my boarders are boarded in six foot hutches with toys and the runs are packed out with toys as well. I would not offer my boarders anything less

I run a small pets boarding service and I am pleased to show people around, if you do find somewhere to potentially board your furry friend I would always suggest having a look around and a good boarding place will always be happy to oblige or answer any questions you have.
All my boarders are boarded in six foot hutches with toys and the runs are packed out with toys as well. I would not offer my boarders anything less

Excellent, I may be visiting soon to check you out :D ! I'm just settling in my new buns tonight. Fortunately I have a retired next door neighbour who has previously had buns, so I'll be asking him first if I go away, but I figure its best to be prepared with somewhere in case I have an emergency.

I'm caring for some friends buns (in situ) whilst they are away on holidays and have put some flyers out that I can do this for others.

At present I don't have set-up to offer 'hotel' accommodation but can certainly visit others buns for care and fuss.

Rabbit Sitter - Manchester (Rabbit looked after in our home)

Hi

I'm Jan, I've decided to start a small business caring for house rabbits. I lost my rabbit, Phoebe, of 8 years back in October. Following a substantial grieving period(!), I'm now looking to take care of other house rabbits in a safe environment for owners going on holiday or business or during other personal situations which make caring for your house rabbit difficult.

If you are interested in using our services please don't hestitate to contact me to arrange to come and view our home and the environment in which your pet would be looked after. I am an experienced carer and work from home so am around to provide care at all times (...except when I go on holiday of course!).

To ensure your pet receives the best care and accommodation, I am only able to take 2-3 rabbits at any one time.

Cheers
Jan
07815 137 563

is there anyone from lincs area or around who has used Animal Heaven in winterton? their website is down at the mo, but they take rabbits - seems like the only one in the area

Back