• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Help for my rat

Lillian

Warren Veteran
I know this isnt a rat forum but i really need advice. My rat is ill (coughing, sneezing and really not himself) My parents have gone to Guilfest for "a few hours". I need to take spike to the vets today! I dont have money and i'll have to walk if they dont return home soon. Should i phone the vets for an apppointment and pray my parents will be home in time for it or should i leave him? If he dont go tonight he'll have to wait until monday. What would you do?

p.s sorry i put this in the wrong place:? (supposed to be in general chat)

Last edited:
Hiya,

Call your vets and explain the situation. Usually if you're registered with them and you explain the money issue they'll let you bring the pet in and your parents can pop in later or on Monday to arrange the payment.

If so make the appointment and then you can see if your parents turn up soon enough to get a lift or you'll need to walk.

It's best to get an appointment now as if he gets worse an emergency one over the weekend would be very expensive!

Tamsin

Thanks for the reply. I got an emergancy appointment. The vet said he has a bad respitory infection:( But we shouldnt give up on him just yet. He's going on antibiotics for 10 days and we'll have to wait and see what happens. It only cost £17 for them to examine him and give him a syringe and antibiotics:)

If it's really bad and the (guessing it's baytril they gave you?) anti biotics don't tend to do anything, they might try an anti biotic/doxy combination which is usually effective with treating severe resp. infections.

I hope it's not too bad though and all is ok!

A good tip when you have a ratty with resp. infection is to get one of those small air purifiers, another thing that helps is a herb called "Goldenseal" which can be added to their diet and helps to boost the immune system.

Err..sorry rambling here, guess you know all that anyways! Keep us updated :D

Thanks for the link. He hasnt improved much but its only been a day. He also has a cyst on his tummy :( the vet said that hopefully it'll will be ok to just leave it but if it keeps filling with pus it will have to be removed. My poor Spike and its coming up to his second birthday. He's never been ill before now he gets an infection and a cyst :( But he's a strong little thing hopefully he'll beat both things and fully recover.

spikey.jpg

Back