• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Another sick bunny

Fionabun

Mama Doe
Clover is still not eating, Nell and Marcy were off their food on Saturday but came round quite quickly. Sumi is gassy today now. I think its gas anyway. He is getting all the right attention.
Any spare vibes would be much appreciated

arh hope their ok?are they show rabbits cuz their markings look perfect?xxxx

Thanks, but no they're not show rabbits, just my little pets

Their markings are beautiful, except Sumi who has a tiny neck splodge and Clover whose 'stripe' is squint.

Sorry to hear about your bunnies :cry:

Do you think your bunnies have identical problems because of some genetic defect or pre-disposition?

It's a subject I'm interested in because the only 2 bunnies I've ever had with GI stasis were father and daughter.

I presonally don't buy into the thought that most stasis is caused by diet (unless the diet is especially bad) or environmental factors.

Amy

I am sorry for your worries with your bunnies. Would it be worth getting a referral to Bristol to see if they can get to the bottom of their stasis?

Sorry to hear about your bunnies :cry:

Do you think your bunnies have identical problems because of some genetic defect or pre-disposition?

It's a subject I'm interested in because the only 2 bunnies I've ever had with GI stasis were father and daughter.

I presonally don't buy into the thought that most stasis is caused by diet (unless the diet is especially bad) or environmental factors.

Amy

Hi there. I am more and more convinced that it is EC infection.

But I also suspect that their breeding line could have been very poor :cry: .

Why do you suspect EC?

Do they have other EC related issues? Excessive drinking, nystagmus, co-ordination problems, etc?

The story is a long one and similar to that experienced my SarahP more recently. I had a spell of horrendous repetitive GI stasis every week/2 weeks with them (the three who live together) for about 4 months. It was awful. Then in March, the final straw was Marcy who was unable to walk and had active EC infection. With all the treatment she had, she improved and miraculously they all improved with no GI stasis for about nearly 4 months. My vet couldn't quite believe it. I had given them dentals and all sorts in the time in between trying like mad to get to the route of the problem.

There is some head tilt still but no other EC signs.The research on EC in terms of GI consequences is apparently rubbish, none has really been done.

I guess it figures that E-c could affect the intestines as the parasite forms granulomas, like those found in Crohn's disease in humans.

Have they had treatment with steroids as well as Panacur? The RWF article mentions that.

Hope he's OK soon - I guess it's just an ongoing battle and very worrying for you :(

all your rabbits are so cute my baby dutch is only 11 weeks old and already he uses his litter tray he has never done a wee anywhere else he is a joy to own

Thanks Sarah, no you need a break, yours have been bad healthwise recently. (love their pic on the litter tray thread!)
Aww thanks! :)

I just feel as though I know what you're going through. My heart sinks when I see your threads saying they are ill. :(

To follow up on what's been said, my 2 bunnies' GI stasis problems is most definitely caused by EC. Trouble is, it keeps coming back! I've just given them a booster of Panacur and Clover is like a new bunny. Am trying to make the most of a good spell with them! :)

I guess it figures that E-c could affect the intestines as the parasite forms granulomas, like those found in Crohn's disease in humans.

Have they had treatment with steroids as well as Panacur? The RWF article mentions that.

Hope he's OK soon - I guess it's just an ongoing battle and very worrying for you :(

I didn't know that about granulomas linked to EC , that may explain quite a lot. Do you have a reference for that at all? I would be so very interested in it. Poor Sumi still has an achy achy bellly

Back