• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Just wondering...

Gingypig

Alpha Buck
I have a few questions that i have been wondering about...

At what age is a female rabbit fertile?
At what age is a male rabbit fertile?
At what age would you recomment separating litter mates, males and females?

I have no intention of ever breeding bunnies obviously, but just would like to know so I can give advise to people who come to me (happens quite alot, I'm knows as Jos Dolittle!!) and these are things i realised i did not know.

Thanks xxx

both bucks and does can become fertile from as young as 12 weeks (never let a rabbit have a litter this young!) although some bucks can take up to 6 months (i would say this was a good age for breeding)
baby bunnies should be separated at 8 weeks although when Crystal had babies i left the two runts with her until they were 9 weeks.

although if people are asking you these questions it may be best to tell them the down side to breeding as well such as; theres a risk the doe could die giving birth if she has problems, a doe can sometimes panic when having her first litter and accidently rip off ears and legs, ill babies may need to to be culled (this is killing) alot of breeders either drown the babies, smack them off a wall, break their necks, put them in a freezer.... i personally wouldnt have the heart to do this and maybe these people dont either but sometimes it will need to be done with deformed babies which are more common in first litters...

Thank you, no i don't intend on encouraging anyone to breed, I don't even like to encourage them to have pets unless they are willing to give that pet everything it needs. I was just asking as i might get 2 bunnies from the same litter and wanted to know how long they can stay together if male and female. and books don't seem to want to give out any info like this, very unlike the gp books!! xxx

Back