• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Do rabbits know their name?

Stralachlan

Warren Scout
Do your rabbits know their names? Individually I mean - if you call a name out does the right rabbit respond? Or do you think it's the tone of voice they respond to irrespective of words used?

I'm trying to think of names for my new buns, and my BF has been teasing me about a bun getting a complex because his potential name (Hazel) is female in human world, but male if you read Watership Down :oops: . He also doesnt think they will know their own names.

I reckon it's the tone of your voice, if I go outside and call a name all heads turn in my direction - well the ones that aren't too busy stuffing themselves!! :lol:

I would agree with Chloe, as The benjamin responds to whatever i say including 'stupid bun', i think its the tone of your voice. Although he does seem to know what 'Can i have a kiss bun?' means.

The only bun i've known who seemed to recognise his name was my gorgoeus boy Rufus ( now RB).he was as thick as a plank in all other ways..sort of bun who would try to run through a wall..:roll: ..but you could be speaking in any sort of tone..drop the word Rufus in and he would turn and look at me..
Think he probably associated it with food!

I believe my buns know their names. Like with all babies - animal and humans, it takes a while for them to cotton on. Tone of voice and food have a lot do with it too!!;) :lol:

I reckon they just know tone as they jump about when they see and hear me cos they know i feed them and let them out.:D If they see my other half they respond but not really in the same way....:?

Egg is a bit too independent to really know - but a raised tone 'egg' will stop her from doing that naughty thing she was just about to do.

Tuesday does - it's food related - but when I get raisins out egg usually scares him off in to his litter tray. So egg gets a raisin first, and when she's gobbling i just have to call 'Tuesday' and he comes stampeeding over (but like honeybunny - Tuesday is a bit dim - i'd agree with the walk through a wall - or try to! :roll: ) :lol:

I'm convinced that one of mine is deaf, and the others just pretend to be!
The only thing they answer to is the rattle of food!!:lol:

The only time Fred and Alice respond to their names is usually when they are up to something they shouldn't :lol:

My rabbit Bugz comes when i call him but only if he feels like it i swear he thinks im his sevent and his the master :)

my house bun jon looks if i call him, but i think as said its a tone thing, lightning a garden bun starts buzzing when i say his name, so im not that sure.:?

Back