• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hay?!!!

beckiboo186

Warren Veteran
Random Topic :roll: Just wondered how much you all spend on hay per week/month, and what hay's you all buy? :) I've been using farm bales as bedding and 'staple hay' for a while, then just adding nice hays in a bowl for supper but I now have to stop getting baled and i swear the prices of hay (as in, bags of) have gone up since i used to buy it :shock: (or i've probably just got poorer :lol:) Thinking about getting a big plastic box to keep in the cupboard and just mix lots of nice hays together, and then just using wilkinsons hay for litter trays? :? Taken my little brain two days to work that out!!! :oops: :lol:

I'm really bad at keeping track of how much I spend. I don't think it's a lot? I've get it from dustfreehay and my mind doesn't work in time scales so I've no idea how long one lasts.

I'm really bad at keeping track of how much I spend. I don't think it's a lot? I've get it from dustfreehay and my mind doesn't work in time scales so I've no idea how long one lasts.

Ahh yeah did think to look there, Guess part of my problem is that I really dont want to store much at a time, as it'll have to be indoors. Maybe i could order 5 bales and hide them in peoples wardrobes ;) :lol:

I buy my hay in bags at my local pet supply store. It is meadow hay, and is £1.29 per bag. NONE of my buns will TOUCH the P@H chopped up hay stuff. At the moment, I go through about 8 bags of it a week, along with a bag of Oxbow Timothy hay at £6.99 and a bag of Oxbow Alfalfa at £2.99.

Good GRIEF................I WISH I hadn't totalled that UP now..........I just realised when I did that I am spending over £20 per week JUST on hay for my lot!!!!!!!!!!:shock: :shock: :shock:

Then there is the Excel, and the veg, and the shavings................

I am DEFINATELY doing something wrong!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:?

I am spending an utter fortune on hay at the moment (for pigs as well as buns), and it's a bit scary! :shock: I really don't want to try to add it up! ;)

March Hare, Your doing something better than I am, cos I worked out i'd be spending more than £20 on hay each week for TWO buns!!! :shock: Maybe I'll let the grass grow then hope it frys in summer :lol: :lol: :lol:

March hare, could you order online? works out much cheaper than the hay I used to get from pet shops.

i have only ever used good quality meadow hay that we buy by the bale..we have had some more exotic types donated now and then...but all the bunnies eat loads of the meadow hay so it works out well:D We alos use it for bedding..I find the more they are surrounded by it the more they it!
We pay approx £3.90 per bale but have been lucky enough to have several donated lately by a kind landowner:D

I use hay in the litter trays as well as I do find they eat more of it too that way. I was feeding them Oxbow Oat Hay but they were flying through a massive box of that in less than two weeks so I seriously couldn't afford it now I have three bunsters. I've switched to Oxbow Timothy Hay (Darcy got bored of the Willow Warren Timothy and wouldn't eat it) and they all love that. I bought a huge box of that for about £40 something pounds. I'm just waiting to see how long it lasts but so far it does seem to be more hay for your money. :D

I paid £6.99 for timothy hay that Buster will only pee on and £3 for a bag of medow hay. But I have loads left so I reackon it's only a couple of quid a week. Oh but I won't add on his herbal garden hay, excel, litter etc .....:lol:

At the moment I am going through 4 farm size bales of hay a week which at the moment cost me £3.99 each. I also get oxbow hay and other types of hay which probably cost me around £10+ a week (I get them at trade price so its not so bad :lol: ) , then I use a bale of Just grass a week which costs £7.99 :shock:

I've just placed my first order for 5 bales for £29.99 with http://www.dustfreehay.co.uk/cost2.html because I'm forever at the petshop stocking up and the hay recently has been really bad quality.

I don't know how long 5 bales will last or where I'll store it yet:lol: :lol:

If I ditch all our clothes and food it'll go in wardrobes and cupboards:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Nicola

for 1 bunny, 1 superforage at about £2.99 and straw about £1 for lining his litter. I'd love to give him oat hay or orchard grass but at £8 for a piddly bag I think thats a no no.

Becki, if it's cheaper by the bale then perhaps you could get a bale, bag up what you need and donate the rest to a local rescue?

Back