• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Lionhead bunnies

Gingypig

Alpha Buck
Hi

I was wondering how much grooming a lionhead bunny needs? Is it ok to trim the hair if it gets to be a problem? I have 3 longhaired guinea pigs and as i no longer wanted to show them I trimmed their hair all over, they look comical but must feel a hole lot better.

Anyway i spose i'd just like some advise as i have a netherland dwarf at the mo and obviously he need minimal grooming.

Thank you xx

Hi

I was wondering how much grooming a lionhead bunny needs? Is it ok to trim the hair if it gets to be a problem? I have 3 longhaired guinea pigs and as i no longer wanted to show them I trimmed their hair all over, they look comical but must feel a hole lot better.

Anyway i spose i'd just like some advise as i have a netherland dwarf at the mo and obviously he need minimal grooming.

Thank you xx

Don't know about lionheads, but I've just given my 14 longhaired piglets a haircut too and they do look comical, but jump about like they are sooooo relieved to be rid of it :D I can't imagine bunnies or pigs care what they look like really, so long as they're comfortable and can reach their eating poops easily.

I have got three lionheads, one with long hair all over and two with just tufty heads. The long haired one gets a comb through once a week or so, the other two never really... Their hair just doesn't seem to mat very much at all.

But I guess it depends on the individual bunny, I have heard of lionheads that need a lot more grooming.

Vera

we're adopting 2 lionheads at the end of the month and they are very fluffy. they will need grooming daily but they are very friendly so it shouldnt be a problem :D

I am going to see some baby lionheads on sat, from the pics they look like they will be fluffy all over.

Yes my piggies are so much happier, apart from when I'm actually cutting the hair, esp Wills the magical jumping guinea pig!! hehe

xx

I guess you can cut it if you want, but not the whiskers!

From experience it was a very stupid thing, but it looked like they were bothering my bun......then he got his head stuck under the sofa because he thought he could fit....luckly no harm done!

It depends on the lionhead. The amount of fluff they have varies a lot from just a few tufts around the neck to long hair all over. Mine are in the first category and don't need any more grooming than a normal rabbit but those with more fluffy bits can need daily grooming.

double maned lionheads need groomed often and Single maned lionheads still need grooming just not as often.

also it all depends what you use as a base for the cage/hutch if you use woodshavings it mats up the lionheads mane quite easily or at least it did with Simbas :shock: i had to groom Simba everyday or he ended up with a big matted mane :shock: although hes moulting at teh moment so im not having much bother with it at the moment :D

I have to pick little bits of hay out of Scarletts fluffly mane every day, but Trip gets out what he can when he is grooming her :D

I have 5 bunnies, 1 is a lionhead, she needs minimal grooming but i do trim her 'skirt' when it gets long as she tends to get hay and stuff matted in it, i also trim round her head area as she gets long hair round the 'mane' area which falls in her eyes.

other than that the main body area doesnt need grooming which is good as she is quite skittish when being handled especially since she lost her partner last year.

Back