• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

ideas for the garage set up please

we have debated all week about where to house Saffy & Pru, and have decided the garage is a better idea than a run/kennel as they will have more space when we have to keep them out of the rain

we have partitioned off a 9x7 section at the rear of the garage, and it is going to be carpeted. the door at the rear of the garage leads into the garden so my dad is putting in a catflap to enable them to access the run (which he's building for us bless him :D )

the door is glazed at the top and it lets in a fair amount of light, but the problem is during the afternoon it also lets in quite a lot heat unless the pane is covered. i dont want to reduce the light too much so i've ordered some of that stuff that reduces heat in greenhouses but still allows light in

i intend to open the garage door fully when we are around. do you think they will be ok like this? there's no other source of light into the garage but its really not gloomy.

we've got all the toys like tunnels etc, but i want something for a hidey hole now. Saffy & Pru are small rabbits but i dont want to lock them in anything, the pen is going to be available full time - should i get a smallish hutch and line this with vet bed so they can snuggle in cold weather? they could also climb on this if they wanted or go underneath it. Or should i use my existing dog cage and perhaps cover it with a blanket?

does anyone else keep their bunnies in a garage? any ideas would be appreciated as all mine are housebunnies so i'm a little unsure on some things

sarah :D

ps dont worry, the car doesnt go in the garage so there will be no poisonous fumes or anything.

Hey Sarah :wave: More bunnieeees, How exctiting!!! :D I've kept bunsters in the garage before, and for us it worked so well. We had one bunster who hated it outdoors, and one who hated it indoors, so the garage was the perfect inbetween, best of both worlds :) Does your garage have a big garage door? Like, the huge ones you lift up to get a car in? Someone a few roads away has made a big mesh pannel, and put it across the front of the garage and they leave the big door open, therefore bun had loads of light and fresh air :) This would also help keep the air flowing, so it shouldnt get very hot. We all miss it and if we moved back to a house with a garage, that'd definately be where I kept my monsters :D Xx

unfortunately the big front door goes straight onto the street so thats not an option sadly.

i'd leave the backdoor open all the time but its actually cooler with it shut.

i'm going to put a fan in it and they will be able to get outside into the run. on rainy days i'll prop the catflap open and i'm fitting a mesh panel so i can block the catflap off

in the long term, we've discussed removing the glazed panel in the garage door and my dad altering it so it will open outwards and we will put a strong mesh screen on the inside so there will be more air filtering through but we wont have time to do that before the fluffsters come to us (and haslam homes are coming out on 26th july to see our snagging list :shock: so i cant do it before then anyway )

Back