• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Pooey bottom!

VickiWillow

Warren Scout
My bun Willow has intermittent bouts of runny poo/diarrhoea. It doesn't seem to bother him (except when we have to comb it out of his fluff) and he has been checked by the vet who has said he is well and advised us to mix up his food (he was having pellets in the morning and veg at night, now he has a little of each twice a day). This doesn't seem to be making much difference and I'm just wondering whether we should try a change of pellets (He's on Excel at the mo). He does always have lots of hay available but doesn't eat that much of it.

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Excel can give some bunnies sticky poops - I would recommend science selective, available online, as it's high fibre, contains a probiotic and they really love the taste.

With hay, if you top it up with fresh twice a day they will usually have a look through it and a nibble, but hay varies a huge amount in quality - if you have a car, try farm shops, markets etc, until you find a nice, green, fresh smelling hay. My rabbit Maa doesn't eat much though, so I give her extra pellets as they are high fibre.

Thankyou very much! Unfortunately I don't drive so can't get to farms etc for the best hay, but will get some nice fresh hay for him and our local pet shop sells Science Selective so will try that. :D

yes definitely go for science selective. we had the same probs with our Gus, changing to SS meant a sticky bum only once in a while rather than all the time and all the bunnies seem to love it a lot more than excel anyway :D

if he's a fussy hay eater then invest in some timothy hay from bunny basics etc - even my fussiest buns will eat this - it is expensive but worth the money imo

He's now on SS in addition to a little Excel so it's not too much of a change all at once and we've found some really nice local hay. No diarrhoea so far, thanks for the advice :D

Back