• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

feel like a self harmer!

kimd6200

Banned
oh my god,for the last couple of days every time i pick my buns up i get scratches to hell.my wrists are covered in scratched cuts etc.looks realy bad.dont want people think im a self harmer.why dont buns like being picked up?thumper is the worst?kicks n thrashs about until you put him down.i have to pick him up to get him out of his hutch cuz its high up.also,can you catch anything from scatches?bleed sometimes.behind with tetnus cuz im terrified of needles!:oops: only want make friends with my buns!xxx

try clipping their nails, none of my bunnies nails are sharp enough to break the skin... then, perhaps work on how you are holding them so that you learn what they like/dislike etc.

clipped them all last week. put my hand under his bum and lift him by his chest.if you know what i mean.he gives me kisses through the bars so dont hate me.any tips?xxx

Rabbits are most comfortable on the floor on all fours which is why they don't like being picked up, they feel that when they are opicked up, they are being taken by a predator and get scared.

Hope you managed to sort it. As someones said, the buns shouldn't have claws sharp enough to pierce, xx

I know they don't hate you - my Gaius is the same... say the word lift evey time you go to pick them up - they'll learn what it means quickly enough and it won't be such a shock... that way they'll still be happy and confident being stroked, knowing the if you've not said 'lift' they're not going to be grabbed.

Hehe! I know what you mean!

When I got my first rabbit she gave me some pretty deep cuts all on the inside of my arms... My friends really did think I was self-harming. I still have scars. After a few weeks, it was almost as if my arms toughened up and the skin didn't break as easily.

your not the only one i look like a self harmer everyday! although having my buns neutered has really helped them not kick/scratch me lol although my new rabbit lilli shes horrible for scratching im just waiting for the day when someone asks me if im self harming :roll:

I've currently been spoilt by Barney.. my previous two girlies were... Well, they weren't terrors, exactly. But they did struggle at times. Barney's very good and never struggles, but I'm getting a new girl-bunny soon, so I expect I'm in for a reawakening!
I remember one day looking at my arms and laughing and pointing out to a few friends I looked like I'd been self-harming... And they all went quiet and exchanged these looks... :roll: It's so nice to know what they thought of me!

They joys of owning bunnies!! :lol: :lol: I pulled my top off today to get changed for work and poop, straw and fur all flew out and I had scratches all over my chest :rolleyes:

oh my god,for the last couple of days every time i pick my buns up i get scratches to hell.my wrists are covered in scratched cuts etc.looks realy bad.dont want people think im a self harmer.why dont buns like being picked up?thumper is the worst?kicks n thrashs about until you put him down.i have to pick him up to get him out of his hutch cuz its high up.also,can you catch anything from scatches?bleed sometimes.behind with tetnus cuz im terrified of needles!:oops: only want make friends with my buns!xxx

I know how you feel my Charm hates the syringe yet needs medicine and food through them.

As for catching things...just a few infections. My motto if it breaks the skin break out the savlon (disinfectant cream) and you'll be fine.

My doctor wouldn't believe I wasn't harming myself when he saw my wrists :roll:
I have a newbie doe who is tiny, but a complete savage when you pick her up, she lovely every other time

although technically they shouldnt be able to break the skin - reality is a whole different thing :lol: because they can kick so hard. If you do absolutely have to pick them up .... I personally always make sure shes resting on my arm so her back isnt free and I hold her tight.... Knowing they arent going anywhere and arent going to fall helps.

I know exactly what you mean. Thankfully the rabbit scratches actually look like animal scratches.. with the chinchillas, they have long finger-nail type nails and leave lines that look like you used sharp object :shock:

I would always have these razor thin red scratches all across my wrists and forearms and felt so silly sometimes when people stared.. its like... I SWEAR! I LIKE MYSELF! ITS NOT ME!

:lol:

I'm sure they thought I was a Dr. Jeckyl Mr. Hyde case.. :roll:

I do have a funny scratch scar from the first time I picked Crue up though. It is low on the top of my hand, almost next to that round bone in your wrist, and it is 2 thin lines side by side. Its kinda weird looking!!!

Last edited:
Back