• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

single vs double level living

Batfinks

New Kit
Hi all,

My other half has just agreed to go and order a bigger hutch as are hoping to rehome one of ARCs little dutch ladies as a friend for Mia - I had sent him off (fiance not Mia!) to look at 6 x2 x2 single stories but was wondering what peoples views were on going slightly shorter but over 2 levels instead? Is floor space much of a muchness once you take into consideration the ramp?

Have just stopped him ordering for tonight but really do need to get cracking again tomorrow. All views much appreicated.

How bigs the slightly smaller one? (double storey) I like them to have as much space as possible BUT all my buns that've lived in double hutchs seem to absolutely love it if i fill the bottom storey FULL of hay. I then shut that up, either using shutters or just some ply on a hinge? and its like a burrow for them. So I'd go with that if the hutch is 5x3 or whatever :) Hope my waffling helps :oops: :lol: Xx

I personally think that two stories are ok if there is plenty of space underneath, you have to take into account the size of the ramp.

My lot live in a playhouse which is 4 feet square, with a large run attached. They also have a shelf which they sleep and play on inside. Having more space downstairs works well because it means they have room to chase and play.

2 tier hutches do tend to be fairly narrow and low, so make sure you check the other dimensions too, not just the length :D Sound like they'll have a great home either way though!

Personaly Ive Gone Right Off Double Story Hutches .

I Think A Good 6ft X 2 Ft 2 Ft Single Can Be Better Especialy With A Run Attached .

Just My Personal Preference Though ;)

thanks everyone - have gone for the 6*2*2 with small run space underneath which i can attach my existing run to! Best of both worlds. Also know as aI can't make a decision to save my life!

Well that sounds good then! :)

A side note, whenever doing ramps and whatnot its essential to make sure that there's enough room to turn around and manuever and frolick easily without the ramp actually being in the way of the bunnie's natural flow of moving and whatnot.

Let's see pics when its all done!! :D

I don't think I've seen a double storey hutch in action, are the hole's usually at one side?

I have a dog crate with a shelf as a base for my two and i don't have a ramp, they just jump up through the hole in the middle. They love to sit up there and lord it. They use it as their sleeping place.

The hole for the ramp in my hutch is set in the back righthand corner, so there is plenty of clear space. The hutch is just over 3' front to back so neither the hole nor the ramp impedes the buns. I think that unless the hutch has a depth of at least 2' then the ramp etc rules out any benefit of it being a double hutch, as the top level is really only a shelf. Unless, of course, the hutch is at least 5'long which gives more room for the rabbit/s to play around on the lower level.

Have you looked at the massive 6' hutch in P@H? I think it's for their giant rabbits and has a double storey at one end, but would be ideal for 2 smallish buns. It's on my wish list!!

Back