• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is my bunny lonely?

Hi. I'm a new (very beginner) user.
We are the proud owners of Sasha who is a 7mth old dwarf bunny. We've had her for 5 mths and had her spayed which went well but was very expensive ($400 CDN). We didnt know that we could adopt from our own Human Society.
Here's my question that I hope you can help me with.

HOW do we know if she is lonely? Would she benefit from having another bunny? What do we get a female or male?

We play with her alot (although we're still trying to figure out what she likes best) and give her plenty of love. She has full range of the main floor and small backyard (when the door is open)- both of which has been totally bunny proofed.

Thanking you in advance.
Ellen

I think she would benefit from having a friend that she can cuddle with and talk to :D The best thing to do is contact your local rescues, lots of rescues will help you with bonding and some might let you take her along to pick out a friend herself :D The best pairing is male and female so it would probably be best to get her a little boyfriend ;)

A neutered male would be the best match. If you contact your locall humane society or house rabbit society then they may have a suitable rabbit. YOu can also ask if you can try introducing them before making a commitment to adopt and that way you can see how Sasha would react.

It's difficult to tell a rabbits lonely until you see the difference when you have two. A bonded pair will hop about together, lie side by side, groom each other etc. It's really lovely to watch :D

welcome to the forum!

Rabbits are social by nature and although I'm sure Sasha loves you, she would probably love to have another bunny in her life. You have done the hard bit already by getting her neutered, so I would really reccommend getting another rabbit. A neutered male would probably work out best with her.

If you could adopt from a rescue centre/humae society, that would be even better because they can help with introducing your rabbits to eachother.

Lonely - going to adopt another one

Thanks for all the replies and kind suggestions.
I've called the Humane Society and I can bring Sasha along to help pick another bunny out that would hopefully be a good match. I'm worried that if they don't get along then we'll have 2 that fight. I guess there's no way of guaranteeing this is there.
We'll definately look into adopting a male.

Now, on to the confusing stuff. We're finding that the websites contradict each other relating to diet for bunnies.
Some say it's ok to give treats like sweet potatoes others say no. Then my hubby comes home with these Kaytee treats that have sweet potatoes that have been dehydrated (?) shriveled all up. Are these ok???
She's very fussy on her hay too. She won't eat Timothy hay only alphalfa. I think I'll try introducing her to other hays to give her a variety.

Any thoughts?

Back