• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

how best to hold a rabbit?

willowflower27

Mama Doe
ok i know how to pick up a rabbit well at least i think i do i pick dillion up one had under front feet and one under his bum is that right?

my question is once you have you're bunny in you're arms how do you hold them?

i'm only asking as one of my friends whose training to become a vet said i'm holding him wrong. let me explain when i've picked dillion up i turn him round so his 4 feet are lying against my body and i support his bum with one hand and the other hand holds the back of his neck lightly does that sound ok?

my friend says i should hold him the same way as i pick him up but dillion is a big bunny and there is just way to much rabbit to hold comfartably and securely and like i said to my so called friend he's my bun and it is surely a case of what works best for him and me.

i was just wondering if i'm wrong and how other people hold there buns

Last edited:
I do the same! I could understand him saying that if you scruffed him, but that sounds correct to me...:?

I don't think there's a right or a wrong way as long as the bun and you are happy with the method used. Rog and I carry our two differently. I can't hold them the way he does, and the rabbits are quieter in my arms with my method than if I try to hold them his way, and vice versa. As long as the bum and legs are supported it's fine.

This way:
handling3.jpg

Or this way:
handling2.jpg

Depending how big your bunny is and which position they wriggle least in :)

thanks for that tamsin i hold him the top way it's the bottom way that my friend recommended but like i said theres a whole lot of dillion and i don't feel confident holding him that way
i was just curious as my friend was like the way you're holding him is totally wrong etc

I personally find it easier the other way round. I'd hold a big bun sideways and a small one against my chest. I sorta rest them on my hip when they're sideways - bit like holding a baby :lol:

I think it's more important that you're holding them tight enough that they fell secure and their feet aren't waving around otherwise they jump/wriggle.

Tam

dillion hates being held sideways he kicks his back feet out and grunts possibly because i don't feel confident with that method when i hold him sideways i just feel theres to much to suport which is why i lay him against my front and he seems quite content that way

depends on the rabbit with me they seem more able to nip your shoulder and jump over your shoulder in the first pic (Twinkle and Sugarplum :roll: ), I hold fudge like the second pic too as there's less chance of him biting me!!! I can hold splodge and caramel like the first pic :D

Sorry I cant be much help on the 'correct' way to hold buns, over the years I dont think I have had 2 that liked to be held the same way so I go with whatever they are comfortable with.

Our 2 girls like to be held so differently by me and my partner (maybe cos he is 6'.5" with a frame to match they feel more secure with him than me). Alfie is more comfy lying on her back like a baby in my arms - she nips me when she has had enough and wants to run! Holly is more of a paws against the chest type.

However you hold them, as long as you and the buns are happy I dont see that its an issue.

I hold Sasuke the way shown at the pictures, Zakura likes to crawl underneath my arm, so I can actually just carry her with one hand (she's sitting on my arm, with her head hidden).

thanks for all the replies i've directed my trainee vet friend to this site and told him it's personal choice as to which way to hold them i was just so annoyed that he came into my house and told me that the way i held dillion was dangerous but like i said i don't feel comfortable holding him sideways and it's taken me ages to get him to give me cuddles in the first place i don't want to change it (obviously if friend had been right i would have held him the other way)
it doesn't say much though i mean when he does qualify he'll go around preaching to bunny mummy's that they need to hold there buns this way and do this and that etc. not his fault but it just made me question what i was doing i thought i might have been hurting dillion but i'll just stick with my way as we both seem to be happy with it

sorry bit of a rant but i've festered all day at the fact that my so called friend would basically accuse me of negligence :evil:
i'm probably over reacting but it was his whole manner and tone it's like "i'm training to be a vet so i know better than you so there"

I personally find it easier the other way round. I'd hold a big bun sideways and a small one against my chest. I sorta rest them on my hip when they're sideways - bit like holding a baby :lol:

I love the top method, but I always have concern that w/ their front paws facing me, if they try to scratch, then I'll be injured.

Also, I was told that they feel insecure by having their feet Not touching the ground, as such, I use my hand to support their feet rather than their bum, so the bottom of their feet is resting on my forearm.

Back