• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

absess

richard1

New Kit
Just feel like i want to give out , :censored: . I picked up a small female lop on mon night from a person who was moving house and was so shocked by what i found , a rabbit with what i would call tusks !! a swollen jaw and a bulging eye . My vet , who has helped me keep my other petals happy ,was able to see me on tue morning first thing and told me what i had figured out already The teeth were over grown , and she has three abcesses ,one of them he thinks is also so big it is pushing the jaw out of shape ! this has left her also very weak from not eating . He took her in straight away to try and sort the teeth , so we can get her to eat again but the long term out come is going to be touch and go . She is now home again ,is talking metacalm and being hand fed while we try to build her up so he can tackle the abcesses .:( . This morning while trying to get up to speed on what i was dealing with i came across an article on penicillan G that is injected ,that might help deal with the abcess without surgery ? I have to go back to the vet tommorow as he wants to check on her progress and is it worth mentioning ?
Sorry about the long post , but i do not want to give up without trying all options . :(

if she is underweight and struggling to eat her gut will be in a terrible state....penicillin is a dangerous antibiotic for rabbits and should only be used under the strictist supervision as it destroys so much healthy gut flora.

It is considered harmful in a healthy rabbit and Im not sure a vet would be happy to give it to a sick one :(

Poor little baby, those people who left her to get that way need a good slap round the head :censored: I'll keep her in my thoughts.

As far as I know all abscesses need to be cleaned out thoroughly as well as treated with antibiotics. I think you'd best just build her up for a week by syringing mushed up pellets (ScienceSelective are good as they contain probiotic), liquidised hay in water, no veg, get her gut working better, then she'll need surgery to sort them out. Maa had a week's course of metronidazole for her head abscesses, and it worked straight away, whereas baytril didn't touch the infection. Metronidazole comes in tablet form, so I ground it up and mushed it in with some pellets for her.

Poor baby - I hope she survives this neglect :(

How horrible!!!! But don't use it, every reference I can find says not to use cillin drugs on bunnies. This includes penecillin.

you can use penicillin injections quite effectively in bunnies - when Gus had a retrobulbar abscess we were taught how to inject him with penicillin by Frances Harcourt-Brown who is one of the most respected rabbit vets in the country

however, your vet would have to weigh up the pros and cons of it

i dont know much about jaw abscesses but for Gus retrobulbar abscess - the vet cut a slit below his eye and removed the gunk that way and also put some antibiotic gel in the wound area. then he had about a week of penicillin injections. this was 18 months ago and it hasnt come back.

so please dont give up hope - there is always a chance that treatment will work, although it might be expensive

i forgot to mention - the penicillin injections did give him a sticky bum which was undoubtably the upset to the bacteria balance in his stomach, but he also had avipro in his water which seemed to help.

Thanks for the help ,:) , she is now eating small amounts of mushed oxbow pellets with water , and i am grating a bit of brocolli and carrot into mush . She is able to take small bits of this as well . The vet is pleased with her progress , and as you have all said , he is going to try to build her up and then deal with the abcesses when she is strong enough to deal with a bit of surgery . He is also going to have to remove the front teeth as well . She has a huge abcess on her left lower jaw and one behind the right eye , from her bad diet and teeth . I do not understand some peoples cruel treatment of animals :censored: ,but i hope it is not to late for this little petal . I will try to keep you all posted as to her progress , thanks again .

I have used penicillin on a couple of my rabbits and it really did have a good effect, I think though it is used a s a last resort. Thank god the poor bun as you looking after her now:D .

Awww she is so lucky to have been taken into the care of someone decent :D
It makes me so cross knowing these people do this to their animals:evil:

Good luck with her!!!!

Back