• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

just tried to bond a-social rabbit- advice

touie

Wise Old Thumper
just tried to bond Caramel with Twinkle it lasted about 5 mins :?

Caramel has a history of being a bitey rabbit, she took clumps out of Fudge's back when i tried to bond them, she has had Sugarplum through the run wire a couple of times :evil: although she got on well with her sister I did spot a large bite on toffee just before she died too :( It looks as though she likes company, at the moment she's stretched out along Sugarplum and splodges run :?

I thought it might be worth a go though seeing as their hutches have been next to each other since christmas and Caramel usually stretches out next to Twinkle's run when they're out together and i've never seen any aggression between the two of them through the wire.

I took them both into the bathroom and started off with twinkle sat on my lap Caramel came up and had a sniff no sign of aggression at all :D then I put twinkle down and sat out the way they were both nose to nose caramel with her ears up in an interested pose, Twinkle not too sure!!! All of a sudden caramels ears went back and nipped twinkles face :evil: Twinkle didn't react and Caramel was looking interested again so i left them, Caramel did the same again so i separated them :(

Twinkle wasn't at all hurt and didn't react to Caramel's aggression at all which was good. Now I'm wondering if I did the right thing separating them so quickly, on the one hand Caramel could have got worse and Twinkle could have got hurt. On the other hand she could have been testing for a reaction and calmed down if she didn't get one? :?

Not sure whether to try again later or not? :?

You're so brave :shock: I'm going to pay someone to try & bond my ex monster with my newer monster :oops: :lol: :lol: I think i'd try again if I were you, as long as twinkle wasnt too scared. I cant carry on when one is petrified, just cant do it, feels so cruel :( but you might be right about testing for a reaction, maybe twinkle will just accept that caramel is the dominent one and leave her to it. Good luck :) X

I would try again! That doesn't sound bad at all!
I bonded Vinnie with Bessie on sunday. She had been here a week and they were lying side by side from day one. I let Bessie out loose in the garden with Vinnie so there is heaps of space to get away from eachother if they need a break. Is it possible for you to do this? They had several scuffles throughout the day and fur pulling occured but no massive fights although to some it would look like they wanted to kill each other when they did the whole spinning round on eachother and furpulling! By the end of the day Bessie was grooming Vinnie and they snuggled on and off throughout the day. They were just sorting out who was boss thats all. There was humping and lunging and scuffling initiated on both their parts.
Its 4 days on and they have not argued since and spend all their time within a metre of each other! Its true love!:lol:

Don't be put off by the scuffles, it would be a miracle if it didn't happen. I think you should step back and not be in between them. Maybe use a bigger area, I personally don't like bonding in such a small space as a bathroom as I feel they feel trapped. If you are really worried get a water pistol to squirt them to scare them into breaking up if they do have a major fight. It won't harm them, but they do get used to the squirt after a couple of goes!

I guess I could take them round to my parents and try in the kitchen? I could let them both out in the garden but it's not neutral territory and last time caramel got out while Fudge was out there he ended up with a big bald spot on his back :shock:

Back