• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Frida GI Stasis again

poor Frida just isnt right again this morning. she's hunched in the corner and growling if i try to give her a tummy rub

she has come out onto the landing but her favourite foods arent tempting her.

she has done some poos overnight but nothing since i got up

rung my work to tell them ill be in late, am going up to the vets as soon as it opens.

she was 100% ok yesterday, very perky and her usual naughty self

i really hope its not GI stasis again but its not looking good :(

Last edited:
Poor Little Girl :cry: She's in great hands though Sarah, and let us know how you get on at the vets. Lots of 'Get Well Snuggles' for Frida :love: Xx

Just got to work

Rebecca saw Frida this morning. Her tummy is very gassy and was in stasis but thankfully she couldnt feel an obstruction this time. She wasnt too cold or anything either.

She's had a gut motility injection, a vitamin injection, a painkilling injection and another injection which i think was a different type of painkiller. She just let her prod her about and didnt even cause a fuss when she checked her teeth.

She's due back in tomorrow morning and we've also got some maxolon for her.

Rebecca said Frida's teeth were perfect, no tiny spurs or anything. She thinks it might be worth giving her avipro in her water on a permanent basis as she could just be prone to tummy problems.

We dropped Frida back home at 9.30am and she ate some blackberry leaves quite happily. She's in our room for the day to encourage her to explore and exercise. We've also left her a snugglesafe to keep her warm, and lots of blackberry & mint, greens, pellets and hay. Gail is going back at lunchtime to check on her.

She did seem to perk up pretty much straight away after the injections which is what happened last time. She is a fighter, my little darling.

Please keep up the get well vibes and can we have some poo vibes too please :)

Hope she improves soon for you.

I know I keep going on about this (sorry! :)), but I would definitely advise you get one of your bunnies tested for EC. It is starting to sound like a bit of a pattern. I just wish I'd had mine tested earlier.

i mentioned this to my vet and she was reluctant as she says that tests could still show up negative if for instance they have had an infection but its cleared

im just doing some research on this now, and will try again. out of interest do you know how much i'll need to pay to get the tests done? i am wondering if the insurance will cover it, or if i'll just have to forsake the pub again for a month :(

It's a blood test for E, Cuniculi. I can't really remember how much, but I've had more expensive stuff done. I had Dusty tested who came up positive. I also treated Clover with Panacur rather than get her tested, as she would come up positive anyway.

Trouble is, they seem to need Panacur often - just a 28 day course didn't shift it. They've just had a follow up 9 day course and Clover now has a new lease of life (for now).

My own view is that we spend our time agonizing over every detail of their diets (myself included), as so little is known about the role of E Cuniculi in digestive disorders. I would never have known that they had E Cuniculi, as they didn't show any of the typical symptoms.

insurance will treat this claim as a continuation and will pay for the tests IF the vet recommends them.

im sure she will though when i tell her that insurance will pay :D

we have lots of small poos and she's eaten some greens, blackberry leaves, hay and pellets. she's been asleep on our bed (the dropping and very furry mark on gails pillow gives it away :lol: ) and she was very active when we got back.

at the moment she's back in the room with bracken so lola and gus can have some exercise, but i think we can say she's on the road to recovery :D

well we had another incident of gi stasis on saturday with Frida :( after the usual treatment she bounced back

she is having tests for EC this week (they are taking the blood samples on wednesday)

My usual vet is on holiday but the locum seems very rabbit-savvy and actually suggested the tests to me. I am going to treat all mine with a 9 day course of panacur anyway (thanks Angie for the tip :) ) but im prepared for a 28 day course if necessary.

well we had another incident of gi stasis on saturday with Frida :( after the usual treatment she bounced back

she is having tests for EC this week (they are taking the blood samples on wednesday)

My usual vet is on holiday but the locum seems very rabbit-savvy and actually suggested the tests to me. I am going to treat all mine with a 9 day course of panacur anyway (thanks Angie for the tip :) ) but im prepared for a 28 day course if necessary.

Think Angie is getting commission from panacur at the min:lol: All mine will shortly be on it too.

Hope Frida is ok.

Back