• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rescues... what do you do with your waste

bunnyrun

Mama Doe
Today we cleaned all our bunnies out , my husband took it all to the tip as usual only to be told we could not take the waste there anymore :shock: because it is not classed as household rubbish now instead of taking it there i have to get a waste company to come and get rid of it. which im looking at about £600 a quarter has any other rescues got this problem, any suggestions on how i get round it.

This is an issue which many rescues face, I know that sorting out the comercial disposal of waste was a one of the stipulations for Greenfields Rescue to continue to function. Sprowston use a comercial waste company as well.

:shock: My ex takes it to the tip as household waste - eek if they stop him we'll drown in rubbish here! I used to hire a skip and they classed it as household waste - maybe it depends which borough council you use - could you nip over the border with it maybe into a different borough?

I had the same thing happen to me, I have 20 + guinea pigs so weekly clean out usually produce 3 or 4 black bin bags. I took it to the tip as usual and got told that no animal waste can be put there now, I did try to explain to the man that guinea pig/rabbit poo would not hurt anyone, it is not dangerous like cat/dog poo but to no avail!!

ANYWAY i have a suggestion... i have 2 horses too so now I separate the newspaper from the shavings/poo and take shavings etc to the yard and put it on the much heap!!! then i just take the paper to the tip.. they are none the wiser that it has pee on it!! hehehe

So I would ask at a local livery yard or farm and ask if you can put it on their much heap... also if the paper is shreaded they should not object to that either.

xxx

Today we cleaned all our bunnies out , my husband took it all to the tip as usual only to be told we could not take the waste there anymore :shock: because it is not classed as household rubbish now instead of taking it there i have to get a waste company to come and get rid of it. which im looking at about £600 a quarter has any other rescues got this problem, any suggestions on how i get round it.

We have a giant trade waste container from Cleanaway like this (I think ours is the biggest one) http://www.veoliaenvironmentalservices.co.uk/pages/dry_containertrade.asp We keep it in our garage and have it emptied twice a week (and its always overflowing :shock: ) It costs us about £10 (inc vat) per lift so about £20 a week.

You can also claim that you use rabbit poos as fertilizer, and thus, the poos has desolve into fluid form and on your garden.

Either that or go w/ my suggestion in your other post at General.

urrrm . we are a bit naughty . :oops:
we mix it with household waste amnd nappies from my childminding buisness and take it to the tip :oops: :oops:
if we have to pay for it collecting we would have to close:cry:

I have a green recyling garden waste bin and all mine get put in this bins. I try to be careful about what the top and bottom have in it though ;)

I would look at what the bunnies are on. During the summer, why not put them on mainly shredded paper, with the hay in baskets for them to eat. You could then burn the paper. Obviously winter months would need to be different for warmth.

Oxford does allow grass and hay to go into the garden waste section of the recycling.

I take all mine to the tip about 3 times a week in small boots full that way i can put it on the garden waste pile and no one asks any questions!

Do they not have a recycling/composting facility at the local dump? We have it, im lucky that the binmen take mine but ive taken plenty to the dump and it goes in the garden waste containers to go off for composting. Might be worth ringing and asking first before having to pay a contractor:?
If not, are there any other rescues that you could share the cost with? even if it means taking it to their place to be collected it may reduce the cost for you both/all?

Or a local stables? Maybe ring round and see if they would let you dump it on their manure piles/skips, offer them a small contribution to go towards the cost of their removal company?

My bin men refuse to put animal waste in the compost bins :roll: Hiring a skip cost me about £10 a week but now I'm flat broke thankfully ex takes it to the tip for me - and calls it household waste...for now :?

We found a chap with a field, he lets us make a huge poo pile on it next to where he has the muck pile from his sheep. It is a pain getting it up there though:(

This is something my OH has a problem with. He doesn't mind the animals etc - but he hates all the waste.

We used to do a tip run once a week and were then told it HAD to go into the normal bins.

We now fill our bin with animal waste and take household to the tip. If theres room in the compost bin, we also pop some in there.

We do also, under the cover of night, check our neighbours bins to see if theres room for a bag - :shock: :lol:

PS. I'm not a rescue, but couldn't resist sharing the above with you all.

Last edited:
We do also, under the cover of night, check our neighbours bins to see if theres room for a bag - :shock: :lol:

:lol: :lol: I'm not a rescue but have 22 buns here at the mo so have about 6 black bins bags of waste a week. The binmen usually take it but one week I forgot to put it out and had to do something similar to BD as I'm not sure they'd have taken 12!!

It does take forever to compost bunny waste too - especially if you use shavings :-/

I use paper based litter which breaks down really easily but the hay takes a long time to turn into proper compost. We've got 3 of those big black compost bins at the end of the garden and between the bunnies and the lawn clippings from mowing they've filled up VERY quickly and I only had 2 bunnies til recently!! So I get my dad to take it to the tip [he offered :)] once I have a black sack crammed full of waste. I don't see why it's a problem :( Our local tip seem fine with it :-/

Only thing I can think of is if you know someone nice with an alottment that you could make a compost heap on?

we used to take it to the tip but they have stopped us now(about a year ago) so i try to use less shavings etc and put some waste in the bin but its difficult. i have started using hemcore this last couple of months and then put it directly onto the garden or on the compost bins. what i sometimes do is empty litter trays onto the garden & dig in and then put the less soiled waste in our wheelie bin. its bloody ridiculous that it cant go in the brown bins for compostable waste i think.:?
im using bark in the runs at the mo aswell so that it can go on the garden when it needs replacing its just that you get bunny-food-plants sprouting up everywhere!:lol:
we are not a rescue either just a multiple bun household. :D

Only thing I can think of is if you know someone nice with an alottment that you could make a compost heap on?

i used to have an allotment but gave it up 2 years ago.:roll: ...am thinking of getting another just for bun poo disposal! i used to have one of those wheeled carts going up n down there all week and it made wicked pumpkins:lol:

You can cut down waste buy lining hutches with lino and only putting litter in a tray. Wood based pellets break down reasonably well. Put hay in a hay rack so you're not chucking much out from the floor. This sort of weather you don't really need bedding. In winter that creates a bit extra but you can still cut it down by insulating the hutch with something permanent (e.g. double line the walls).

Tam

How does the dump know what you are throwing away? I just put mine all in black bags, although they have asked what it is and it hasn't been a problem yet.

Back