• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

hospitalised bunny - its a long one

kat_g

Warren Scout
a few days ago i posted about my bunny, buffy. she wasnt eating and hadnt been since thursday morning. I spent the weekend syringe feeding her, giving her metacam, metoclop', infacol and she was steadily the same all weekend, but still not eating and didnt pass poo for 2 nights. I decided on sunday that i would take her to work monday morning. On monday morning she was loads worse. Very poorly looking, lethargic etc. we x-rayed her and vet said she had LOADS of gas in her guts and stomach and would have to be put to sleep as she would be in quite a bit of pain. I burst into tears and was absolutely gutted. I spent the whole day in tears, whilst phoning harcourt-brown in harrogate for advice (my vets had done all they could). They were great but francis wasnt in so phoned a more local vets. Matt Brash (some of you my know from 'zoo vet at large' on the tv) said he would need to take a look at her. I took her to see him yesterday evening and much to my surprise (and relief!) he said he could try to do something for her.

He passed a stomach tube (he did this conscious, as they take them quite well apparently) and got rid of around half the gas (this made her much more comfortable immediately), then he put her on a drip (she was very dehydrated). He said all the drugs in the world are no good if the rabbit isnt hydrated properly. He took her home to look after her and he phoned me back later to say she had responded well to treatment - i was so pleased!

Spoke to the vets this morning (matt had said we woul know one way or the other this morning) and they said she was loads better and had passed 7 piles of poo!!! Went to see her earlier and she was a different rabbit! she should be home tomorrow and i cant wait! I really thought i had lost her!

I cant thank the vets enough and i just wanted to say to everyone - dont give up on them, and if your vet says there is nothing that can be done, contact a rabbit savvy vet asap. When matt saw her last night he gave her a less than 50% chance - and she's pulling through!

He said that there are two things that cause gastric dilation - a blockage, or something they've eaten. Buffy had loads of clover and dandelion leaves on tues and wed night last week and it was the clover that we think caused it. It produces a lot of gas so i would advise anyone NOT to give their bunnies clover!! I didnt even realise until the vet told me!

i know! it really was the worse day of my life yesterday, not helped with the fact that i handed my notice in too!

I too have had Buns whose lives have been saved by deflation of the stomach via a naso-gastric tube. So pleased to hear that Buffy is improving :D
SOME Vets are far to quick to give up on Bunnies :evil: :cry:

Janex

Well done for finding a good vet - good to hear of that technique too and you must be soooooo relieved! :D I did wonder about clover as I've heard about horses and sheep having problems with it - it must be tasty as they go mad for it.

yeah, the rabbit vet said they can eat dandelions until the cows come home, but clover causes gas - i will NEVER allow them to eat it again. Jane - The vet actaully passed a stomach tube via the mouth! Couldnt believe it when he said he was gonna do it conscious (well i could actually cos the vets at my place pass stomach tubes into cattle with them conscious and the vets say that once they get pass the feeling of wanting to swallow, they take them very well) but just didnt like the thought of it happening to my little bunny! It is def worth seeking out the right vet. My vets are great but dont do an awful lot with rabbits so it was good to have a rabbit vet 10 mins away! One of the nurses i work with used to work there so i knew she was getting the best care! I def agree with you though jane - some vets do give up too quickly. Partly due to to lack of knowledge and partly cos i think some of them think 'its only a rabbit' (ayone saying that on here will go to hell for sure! lol)

Back