• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Lop eared rabbit info

kimberly

New Kit
Ok.. bought a lop eared rabbit the other day and im unsure as to which type of lop eared rabbit she is (i really think that pet shops should give more info out but hey there we go). Now if it was a breed of horse then i would be fine however go easy on me as im pretty much a novice when it comes to Rabbits.

Any ideas/info/help etc would be a great, as i would love to know as much about the breed as possible.

Thanks.

Kimberly :D

Most lops in petstores are not a specific breed, rather just cross breds with the lop gene.;)

I agree, petshops should give more advice, but sadly most haven't a clue when it comes to bunnies or any other animal they sell, and even if they did give advice, chances are at least some of it would be wrong. :roll:

oh and Welcome to RU!:wave:

ok hopefully this will work (im going to try and upload an image!!!)...;)

bunny.jpg

thumper1.jpg

awwww what a cutie!

Is that the same sort of markings as Cheekytikkas Tiggra?
She us so cute. I'm afraid I don't know anything about breeds. My Barney is a dwarf lop and they look like they have similar shaped faces but I've no idea if they are the same breed.

im amazed i got them pics on first time round - maybe as she gets a bit older i will be able to tell better what type she is...?

However beebop could be right - she could be a mix of a few lop types?

xxxx

Looks like my loppy Maa - not any breed in particular, just with the genetic loppy ear gene (the 4 multicoloured bunnies in my sig are Maa's daughters, so you can see they vary a lot just within one family)

Maybe a Holland lop, like my Mimi? :)
I have to agree I think she might be a Holland Lop like Laura is saying. I have been looking at getting a Lop myself. And am kind of un sure if I should get Holland or a Mini I would really like a mini just cuz I would like to get somthing that could sit in my lap...lol don't know just what exactly it is but I like the idea of having something a little smaller.

hard to tell from the pic....can you put her against something for scale? :lol:

The thing with lops is that they have 'deformed' head shapes where the lop ear mutation was interbred, this means lops are more prone to dental problems and eye infections (blocked tearducts).

When she goes for her check-up/jabs, be sure to have her teeth checked for maloclussion and spurs.

She is a beauty :D

She's not a purebred lop of any kind...you can tell by the long face. Purebred lops have squished in noses and miserable expressions :lol:

Your kind of lop tends to be better because they have more room for their teeth.

However...the worst kind of lop to own is the one ear up, one ear down type, because it means their skull might be a bit deformed which can cause teeth issues.

Amy

I'm no expert... but she looks like a cross to me, the thinking behind this is because she has lop ears but the face is pointer than most dwarfs and mini lops i've seen. With regards the UK/USA (and Canada!) thing going on here, can someone please reassure me that i'm right in thinking that what we call a Miniture Lop in the UK is known as a Holland Lop in the States and what we call a Dwarf in the UK is called a Mini in the States?? :?

Last edited:
She's not a purebred lop of any kind...you can tell by the long face. Purebred lops have squished in noses and miserable expressions :lol:

Your kind of lop tends to be better because they have more room for their teeth.

However...the worst kind of lop to own is the one ear up, one ear down type, because it means their skull might be a bit deformed which can cause teeth issues.

Amy

Im glad she isnt pure bred if it means there is less chance of her having any problems in the future. Oh i have named her Missy too by the way. xxx

Back