• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

A few questions, please help me!!

Pringle

Warren Veteran
Ok as some people know over the weekend Pringle was at the vet a few times as he had gases in his bowels and was all bloated etc.
He is now better and eating normal /grass etc. But he still isnt jumping around as much as normal but gererally seems fine.

He is back on his solid food but ive still been puting a couple of drops of infacol in it just to help him out. The vet has also given me liquid stuff to syringe feed him to help digest it.. shout at me if you want but ive been letting it soak in a coule of pellets as he seems so stressed out with everything thats happened over the weekend i KNOW i should prob syringe it to him but he gets so stressed out and hes currently not speaking to me at the min.

The vet wanted him back at the start if next week to get all his teeth cut down (as he has on-going teeth problems) but hes currently eating fine and still muching grass which normally he stops if his teeth r bothering him. Hes poo-ing normal and again looks gererally fine apart from a but quiet still.
I feel he doesnt really need his teeth done just now but is he best getting them done even though he is still eating fine etc? could this have been part of the problem to his stomach probs? as up until sat morning he was eating grass and pellets fine..but the vet said it could have been cus he was low on fibre?..but if he was eating ok i dunno how?.

I bought him a wooden thing with carrot treat stuff in it on the friday so could that have caused the bloat stomach?
also.. am i best keeping Pringle of veggies for a few days to let his stomach go back to normal or is their any veggies that will be ok/help him. Im just worried this gassy stomach comes back :cry: :cry:

Sorry to go on...and on...and on....... just dont want to be doing anything wrong.
Thanks in Advance xxx

Last edited:
Hi sorry to hear Pringle was poorly.
In my personal and unexpert opinion I would wait for him to settle down before I took him bac to the vets for his teeth. I certainly don't think its the wrong thing to do to soak the medication because a stressed bunny would just get worse again. I would personally keep a close eye one him but if it is his teeth they should definately be done asap when he is feeling better becasue if he gets poorly again you would have to wait till he felt better again if that makes sense. Just my personal opinion I'm sure others will have better advise.

You don't mention hay in any of your posts so I'm not sure how much he eats - this is the main thing that keeps teeth down, so maybe that's what your vet meant?

Also in the last thread about his tummy probs I suggested he was treated for worms, as these produce the same on/off stasis symptoms - did you mention this to your vet?

He doesnt eat hay, i have tried him with so many different kinds and his hutch is full of it... he doesnt seem to touch it and i just dont know how else to encourage him to eat it:cry: thats how the vet keeps telling me to give him as much grass as possible and make sure he eats it.

i forgot all about the worming but i will buy some worming tablets and ask my vet about that.
x

he has pellets and its normally once a day not to much as the vet told me to cut down with his pellets to encourage him to eat more grass. just now though hes getting a wee drop a couple of times a day so its not a lot on his stomach at once. thanks for the link i will have a look at that.

i might order all the samples of hay off the hayexpert site. if there any good hay that maybe he might eat? ive tried the herbage, timothy, excel..and pretty much any other you get in a pet shop x

mine went all fussy for abit but they love the pure pastures from the hay experts and its loads cheaper than the Timothy. Good luck finding one, its really worth trying him on all sorts as its really really important for them.

I used boredom breakers naturals herbal mix as a little treat for Buster. I add it to Timothy hay and he eats the lot. He is a good hay eater though. Good Luck xxxxx

i have just ordered the 8 samples off hay experts so will see how he gets on with that :D x
thanks everyonex

I had this problem with Maa last year when I switched to meadow hay from west wales timmy - All the others loved it but she wouldn't eat it, so I cut her pellets back and back, till she was just having a couple of teaspoons full a day. Then I noticed one day she was a bag of bones :( She started doing jelly poos/diarrhea occasionally, and looked really unhappy, so I got some more west wales timmy :roll: bloomin expensive!

She still hardly eats any hay - the only way she will eat it is if I give her a fresh bundle twice a day, and then she leaves nearly all of it, but I figure a tiny bit in her stomach is better than none.

The main thing I changed was her pellets - I use science selective as they are high fibre and contain probiotic - you can buy them online, and pay by postal order if you don't have a card - I figured as they were high fibre I'd give her more of them, and she now eats a large handful twice a day (double what the other rabbits have), plus her veggies and what hay she picks at. She's looks in great condition and poos are perfect too, so I'd recommend the ss pellets, and also be aware that a stubborn rabbit with an empty stomach will get ill - and boy are they stubborn :?

I had this problem with Maa last year when I switched to meadow hay from west wales timmy - All the others loved it but she wouldn't eat it, so I cut her pellets back and back, till she was just having a couple of teaspoons full a day. Then I noticed one day she was a bag of bones :( She started doing jelly poos/diarrhea occasionally, and looked really unhappy, so I got some more west wales timmy :roll: bloomin expensive!

She still hardly eats any hay - the only way she will eat it is if I give her a fresh bundle twice a day, and then she leaves nearly all of it, but I figure a tiny bit in her stomach is better than none.

The main thing I changed was her pellets - I use science selective as they are high fibre and contain probiotic - you can buy them online, and pay by postal order if you don't have a card - I figured as they were high fibre I'd give her more of them, and she now eats a large handful twice a day (double what the other rabbits have), plus her veggies and what hay she picks at. She's looks in great condition and poos are perfect too, so I'd recommend the ss pellets, and also be aware that a stubborn rabbit with an empty stomach will get ill - and boy are they stubborn :?

Thanks for the advice. im going to try all these samples and see which ones he likes (if any) and if he does ill buy that hay.
i will also order SS to see how he gets on with that. His weight is fine, he gets weight checked at vets all time, and he only gets a handful of pellets a day. he eats quite a bit of grass usually, its just bloomen hay! hopefully i shall have success with the samples and also try SS thank youuuu xx

Back