• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Anybody here ever done a home check/visit for a rabbit rehoming?

casu consulto

Mama Doe
Ooookay. So, I have just returned from visiting an RSPCA rehoming centre in Rochdale. And, having looked around and filling in a form, we've been told a home visit and check will be arrange within the next 5-10 working days. Apparently, this will be to check the hutch and run... But what else will they be looking for? I've never had anyone check my home before and I'm ever so slightly nervous. I'm going to go and buy the hutch this weekend, so it will be there and they can see it.

I have another bunny, but the sanctuary we got him didn't do a home check as we'd owned rabbits before. So, what sort of stuff would a home checker person be looking at? :)

I wouldnt worry to much, i think they will just be checking that the hutch will be suitable for the size of rabbit you want to adopt.

Also that you have the intention of letting the rabbit out in its run everyday. Things like that i assume.

Im guessing that they dont come around and say, you CANT have a rabbit because..........

I think they will just come, have some suggestions to hutch position, and potential situations that could arise. After all they are only looking for loving homes

Everyone has different criteria so its hard to say exactly what they will be looking for.
They will onviously want to check size and security of whatvere area your rabbit/s will be living in/using.
They will probably want to chat to you about general care to make sure you know how to look after them properly -= such as feeding, health problems, if you have a vet, what you will do if you go on holiday etc
Its npot really a "test" so don't worry too much! If they have any concerns then they should be able to tell you so that you can address them together.

When i had my homecheck done by a local rescue for my girls, they checked the cage size/hutch size, made sure i didnt have any snakes hiding anywhere, checked that vaccinations were up to date (you should have vaccination card ready for them), ensure bun was neutered and that they were clean and getting the correct food. :D

Goooood. ^^
I told them I have my current rabbit vaccinated annually, but the man said that they cannot afford to have their rabbits vaccinated themselves... She'll be spayed before coming here [if they let her]. And she looks like she has no actual breed, but she's slightly smaller than my Dutch boy, and his hutch is just about the recommended size...

Somehow the idea of someone coming to visit still makes me nervy. :oops: I really don't know why.

Fret not! The RSPCA tend to be really nice when they come round. I've had three visits by them, one was a return to check 6months later, and they were all fine. Put kettle on when they arrive - top tip!!

yeah I wouldnt worry - sometimes the homecheckers are more nervous than the people they are checking! :lol:
They will have a quick peek at your bun you have already and look around at how secure things are and that. Its nothing to worry about!

I was sooo nervous before my home check especially when she arrived. I'm still scared of her now :lol:

I've done a couple and check for accomodation suitability. excersise area, general knowledge i.e vaccinations, spaying, pellets, hay, veg etc and holiday arrangements. Also just generally if they seem like nice people.
Smile at them...but not too much :D

edit: ditto to Snoflakesmum. I'm always really nervous.

ahhh... does that mean that I'm a nice person then Isabel?! :D :lol:
I've had 3 different home checks from 3 different rescues on 3 different species! it really is fine - you are not being judged! it's just to make sure that you're not overlooking anything really...

ahhh... does that mean that I'm a nice person then Isabel?! :D :lol:
I've had 3 different home checks from 3 different rescues on 3 different species! it really is fine - you are not being judged! it's just to make sure that you're not overlooking anything really...

:lol: Yes it does. Actually your dog did it for me. I wanted to take him with me. :D

Back