• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Spoilt boys

Witchy

Warren Scout
In 2005 my sister gave me two of her french lops for my birthday. She breeds rabbits and I always thought they were cute but never expected to own some.

The currently happily live together in a 6x2x2 hutch and have the run of my patio when I have time to let them out.

The problem is, I'm 30 and although I don't have kids I do work full time and tend to be out 12 hours a day. My poor boys aren't getting as much attention as I feel they deserve so I've come up with a plan!!:D

What I've decided to do is buy two 6x2x2 hutches off ebay which have 6x4x2 runs underneath them and fix them together to make one large 12x2x2 hutch and one 12x4x2 run!

Unfortunately, I can't use my original hutch as its log roll and would be difficult to cut and fix to another different styled one - I will buy two the same so it's easier. Will sell my other one on ebay or donate it to Woodgreen - probably woodgreen....

I can't wait to do it for them - at least this way, if its a nice day we can drop the ramp and let them be out all day in a secure run and if not, at least they'll have all that hutch room to run about in. The thought of them being stuck in their current hutch and possibly not being able to have a run really upsets me.

What do you think - am I being over the top or just taking responsibility for my pets? :roll:

Do you think they'll be ok being introduced to a ramp? The hutches sit 20" on top of the run. Oh, and they're called Soots and Sweepy btw :p

Wow that sounds like a good plan :D Lucky buns will have loads of space to run around! Might be worth asking how big the hole in the bottom of the hitch is, especially if they are very big bunnies :shock:

I don't think you are going over the top at all - I was like :shock: :shock: :shock: when you said 2 frenchies in a 2x6 hutch!

However, it would be a lot easier for you, and better for them, being a big breed, if you could get them a shed or children's playhouse to live in. Much nicer cleaning them out in winter too! :)

What do you think - am I being over the top or just taking responsibility for my pets?

Taking responsibility! If a rabbit is to be hutched outside, IMO, they need a run for being able to get their exercise out and about whilst you're at work and whatnot.. that's just me though. I mean, its not doing them any harm to have a generous sized hutch and no run time, but I just believe that the bun would be happier with a good hutch AND a run! :D

I think upgrading their accomodation sounds like a great idea and a very responsible attitude :) Before you make a decision on what to do you might want to look at a few other options. A shed would give them extra hight so you could add a shelf and you can buy run panels which you could easily build a walk in run/Avery for then attach that to the shed with a cat flap.

Another option would be to build a big enclosure, either DIY or again you can by panels ready made, then put their current hutch inside for shelter.

If you have a passage down the side of your house or a wall, you could build a three sided enclosure against that. Or you can convert out buildings/sheds/garages if you're not using them.

You could also have a chat with a local carpenter. For the cost of two hutches/runs he might be able to build you one large custom one. Neater than joining two.

There are so many options so don't rush into buying hutches :)

Tam

I'd say taking responsibility (and the current hutch isnt really big enough for them anyway). No rabbit can ever have too much room, especially a frenchie.

But what about a shed rather than a hutch? it would be easier to clean out, you could put stacks of toys in there and the headroom would be much more appropriate to your frenchies needs. If i was going to put my frenchie Lola out (dont worry Lola im not :lol: ) I'd choose a 6x8shed as a minimum and attach a run to the front. But for the kind of money you are talking for 2 hutches plus runs, you could probably afford one of those dog kennel/run combos off ebay. The run is integral and covered and very secure. A much better option in my opinion than 2 converted hutches (you could actually put your old hutch inside a dog kennel/run as a hidey hole and climbing toy). And you wouldnt have to worry about ramps (I think frenchies often find them daunting due to their size, I know our Lola had big problems trying to get the hang of the stairs).

Or you could always bring them inside as pampered house bunnies........give them their own room! :D

Sarah :)

Excellent news - thanks guys for your support and advice on this, I just want to do the best thing for them really.

I have looked into many other options such as hen pens, dog runs and other bunny runs etc but none of them provide both decent sized sleeping quarters and run - most I saw had a tiny space for sleeping and obviously come the winter this just wouldn't be good enough for my bunnies as I want them to have enough room to run about when they are shut in too.

The other good thing about doing what I'm doing is that the runs will be on the brick-block paving that my patio is made from so they will a) be able to keep their claws down and b) be cool in the hot sun. There is 6ft wall running behind where the cages will be going and on the right of them they will be up against the house.

Good idea about using space at the side of the house - unfortunatley the 8ft gap we did have, we filled it by extending the house four years ago!! :lol:

I've attached a pic of the hutch/run combo that I'm buying - Hugs sells them on ebay if you want to take a look at the other pics showing inside it etc, just type in 'giant hutch' and they should come up.

Thanks again, and I'll keep you posted with pics as I get them in their new accommodation - they are being delivered on 19th July :)

GiantHutchRunCombo.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited:
i think you will need a taller section of the run for them to stand up and jump better. But other than that it all looks great

Good point that. I will probably set the whole lot up on 4x2 joists so the run will be 24" high rather than 20". They'll also still get the run of the patio when I'm in the garden - that's 22ftx12ft.

Having learnt on your another thread that these lops are 2 unneuterd boys :shock: Be aware that new territory may provoke fighting - possibly the reason they get on so well in the small hutch is because they have to, as it's so small there's nowhere for them to escape to, if you see what I mean?

If I were you :p (unwanted advice alert!) I would get them both neutered, wait for 2 months for their sperm count to go down, and install each boy in a bunny palace with a beautiful princess of his own - seems far better than forcing 2 unneutered males to hump each other incessantly.

LOL!! I'll let you tell the husband that I've got to have another two bunnies to keep the boys happy. I've already got six cats and hubby isn't amused!! Oh, and five tropical fish setups :lol: (two 3ft set ups up for sale).

In all seriousness, I hear what you're saying, they are very valid points that you are making, I didn't think of it from that angle.

However, I think I will go ahead with my plan and just see what works and what doesn't - I will put a toilet in there that hasn't been changed and their old bedding from their original cage and their toys, so that they have their own smells from each other etc.

I will keep your advice in mind and keep you posted as to how they get on. Thanks again :wave:

Bunnie Housing :) & Spoilt Bunnies lol.

Well Hi to all :) Talking about housing bunnies lol. I have moved house recently and to accomodate my bunnies adequately I have just had a 'shed' especially built for my bunnies.

I am a registered breeder of both French Lops and Standard Rex. And obviously as all bunny people have the odd rescued bun or two or three !!!! :)

The 'shed' is 18ft wide, 12ft deep and, 7ft tall at the back. It has double glazed windows and doors, with nets and a weighted voil in the doorway with a stairgate to prevent little people letting the babies out, and also a carpet which my two dogs find extremely comfortable to lay on while im bust doin bunnie things!!! When the electricity gets put in there will be lighting inside, outside light for the outdoor runs, a radio, heating for the winter and fans to cool them in our not so present hot weather at the moment!!!!

I love nothing more than to spend my days down there with them. Witchy is correct on Casey lol, she has the hump :)

Love to all and bunnies :) x x x x

Last edited:
Back