• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Clover is still not eating

Fionabun

Mama Doe
Clover stopped eating a week past on Monday and has not started again. She had a dental on Friday as she has had spurs 6 months ago, but not really much of note this time around. She picked up and started munching a few greens on Saturday night but she has only really pecked a little bits of hay since then and not much else. She seems much worse today too. So we are off to the vets again. I am syringing lots of food and fluids so she is producing droppings etc, she is also getting pain relief and gut stimulant.She also has anti-ulcer meds .

Oh dear, any ideas? I am giving her lots of tempting foods but nothing is working

Fiona x

Oh no - how worrying. :( No suggestions, only good wishes to you and Clover. Hope the vet has some suggestions.

Hi Fiona,

I'm going through exactly the same with Harvey at the moment. He had a dental on Friday and hasn't wanted to eat anything for himself. He has metaclopromide, metacam and ranitidine. He hasn't touched any veggies for weeks.

I have heard many buns suffering from stasis recently and it is such a worry.

What do you usually feed clover? Harvey usually likes the excel dwarf when he has a sore mouth but he doesn't want that at the moment.

Sending big hugs your way.

Nicola and Harvey xxx

Don't know if this helps.. I was going through exactly the same thing with Spike after he had his front teeth removed. His favourite place is under the bed and I kept him from under there as it's impossible to catch him from there and I needed to give him his meds/ food. In the end I relented and let him back in the bedroom and immeidately he started eating once he was in his "warren" i.e. under the bed.
Clovers situation may be totally different in that she's in her favourite place anyway but it's just a thought :oops:

Come on Clover..stop worrying your Mum like this

Thanks guys. She is also very scared and may be a bit stressed. I hate saying this about her, but she is my most difficult bunny . I feel bad about taking her to the vet, to be honest I have noticed a bit untoward but will let the vet see first. We are off there in an hour

Hi Fiona,

I'm going through exactly the same with Harvey at the moment. He had a dental on Friday and hasn't wanted to eat anything for himself. He has metaclopromide, metacam and ranitidine. He hasn't touched any veggies for weeks.

I have heard many buns suffering from stasis recently and it is such a worry.

What do you usually feed clover? Harvey usually likes the excel dwarf when he has a sore mouth but he doesn't want that at the moment.

Sending big hugs your way.

Nicola and Harvey xxx

Yay! Nicola you are back, Harvey too!:wave: Great to hear from you. Sorry to hear he hasn't bounced back from his dental. What a worry they are. I am delighted you are back!

Clover is on Oxbow officially but I try small amount of almost everything as wee as this when they are off their food

Fiona x

Lots of healing vibes for Clover, I hate it when rabbits don't eat!

I'm sure you have already tried but sometimes when mine are poorly they will eat grated carrot/other vegetables.

the best of luck to you with clover. Ive just been through it all with my bunny, please dont leave it too long with her not eating, esp if she stops passing poo. i nearly lost my bunny yesterday - it was awful.
best of luck to both of you

the best of luck to you with clover. Ive just been through it all with my bunny, please dont leave it too long with her not eating, esp if she stops passing poo. i nearly lost my bunny yesterday - it was awful.
best of luck to both of you

Glad your bunny is feeling better. I am not leaving her though, she is being syringe fed and is doing well with it.

Clover got a multi-vitamin (Vit D?) and steroid injection at the vet and seems a bit better for it. She ate some hay and behaved a bit like her old self when she got home. She has also eaten her pellets, though not greedily but gradually. She is refusing her veg but I am leaving her without syringe feeding tonight until early morning as a trial.

Am continuing with Metacam, Zantac and also got some Fibreplex to give her from the vet

Hi Fionabun :wave:..is lovely to hear from you too!!!:)

Great news that Clover is eating some pellets. I'm taking Harv back to the vets tomorrow and may suggest the vit D and steroid injection. I'm having a nightmare trying to encourage Harvey to eat something. If anyone can suggest any other pellets to try please let me know. So far he has been tried on all the excel range-he will eat a tiny amount of the dwarf variety. He won't eat SS now. I've just run out of the old batch that I had stashed away and he doesn't seem to be interested in the new batch. Have tried him on the oxbow pellets and bunny basics too.

Have you tried Clover on any of the Rosewood products? They're really nice. They do herbal mixes which may tempt clover to eat more. They can eat it as it is or you can mix it in with thier hay. You can buy it from the hay experts but there is a shop near me that sells it too. Herbal garden is good and it's chopped short aswell.

Sending you and clover big hugs,

Nicola and Harvey xxx

Hi Fionabun :wave:..is lovely to hear from you too!!!:)

Great news that Clover is eating some pellets. I'm taking Harv back to the vets tomorrow and may suggest the vit D and steroid injection. I'm having a nightmare trying to encourage Harvey to eat something. If anyone can suggest any other pellets to try please let me know. So far he has been tried on all the excel range-he will eat a tiny amount of the dwarf variety. He won't eat SS now. I've just run out of the old batch that I had stashed away and he doesn't seem to be interested in the new batch. Have tried him on the oxbow pellets and bunny basics too.

Have you tried Clover on any of the Rosewood products? They're really nice. They do herbal mixes which may tempt clover to eat more. They can eat it as it is or you can mix it in with thier hay. You can buy it from the hay experts but there is a shop near me that sells it too. Herbal garden is good and it's chopped short aswell.

Sending you and clover big hugs,

Nicola and Harvey xxx

Hi again. Well seems the effects of the steroid injection has worn off as she isn't doing all that well again today. Munched a few pellets and some of those soft scrappy bits of hay and thats it. Hmm. Hope Harvey eats soon.

Fiona x

Back