• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Guinea Pig Rehome

JellyBelly

Mama Doe
I am a member on the guinea pig rehome site and i think that some peoples attitude to accidental matings and breeding there is terrible.
Most of the pregnancy threads are like 'oh dear she's pregnant...Again!'
Is the rehoming issue for GPs as bad as for rabbits? Because what's going to happen to all these unwanted GPs?
Can any rescues tell me what the ratio of rabbits to guineas is?

I only take rabbits Im afraid so I dont actually know. I dont have the experience to be capable of caring for GP's effectivley....Ive never owned one. :oops:

I didn't think i could have one as a pet but i did some reading and when i got my two i realised that they are actually quite hardy. Now i'm looking to get my ladies a male friend because it's so cute hearing them chatter away to each other!

Oh yeah...my OH said journey is about 3 hours ;)

Im afraid Pigs just dont quite do it for me and as yet none of our buns have come with one attatched.

Most of the pregnancy threads are like 'oh dear she's pregnant...Again!'

I'm afraid I don't have much time for threads like that - sorry, no wish to offend anyone, but everyone is entitled to make mistakes but when it comes to "accidental" litters I don't think some are as "accidental" as they are made out to be especially when they are repeats. Unfortunately even animal lovers and people who are aware of the desperate situations rescues are in, fall to the cute baby syndrome :?

I know Louise from Hopper Haven rescues both rabbits and GPs and I believe she is over run with both sadly.

I totally agree Chloaster. One thread as an example is about a sow who is fit to burst because the person thought her boar had got her pregnant. So they got the boar neutered and put him with another sow about 2 weeks after. They were concerned they hadn't left it long enough after the neuter....but still went ahead and put him in with the sow anyway.

They have now said the first sow was pregnant when they got her from the pet shop but after reading the whole thing it sounds a bit suspicious to me....

I totally agree Chloaster. One thread as an example is about a sow who is fit to burst because the person thought her boar had got her pregnant. So they got the boar neutered and put him with another sow about 2 weeks after. They were concerned they hadn't left it long enough after the neuter....but still went ahead and put him in with the sow anyway.

They have now said the first sow was pregnant when they got her from the pet shop but after reading the whole thing it sounds a bit suspicious to me....

I am also a member of the guinea rehome forum and keep both buns and guineas. I think you are being very hard, we all make mistakes and not everybody is a perfect owner with loads of experience. Sometimes we have to learn by our mistakes. I only keep boars so breeding is not an issue for me.

Im afraid Pigs just dont quite do it for me .

Shortly before rescuing my 'tribe' I said the same thing - When I got them I knew nothing - After 2 wheeeks I was totally in love :p They are so simple and cheerful to have around, really lovely to handle when you're terrified of picking up bunnies like I am too :lol:

Back