• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Oakley's most likely not pregant and Bailey is a boy :D Snippidy snip

mabster

Young Bun
Hey there. I thought I'd start a new thread for this.
Having just discovered Bailey is a male (Breeder was certain she was a girl) I am a little worried now.

Oakley is clearly a girl and Bailey has boy bits...
Both are around 4 months old.
Oakley is too young to go through this. I can't believe this has happened aswell. I am totally besotted with them and feel so bad that I have let this happen.

They are now separated and Oakley is pining for Bailey. She keeps running up to the cage and trying to get in.

I shall phone the vets first thing in the morning so Oakley can get checked over and hopefully she isn't pregnant.
Oakley has just gone 4 months and Bailey is around 3.5 months old.
No babies yet then but could she be due soon?

Are there ways of telling she is pregant.

Appologies for all my questions. :(

Mabs

Last edited:
Well you weren't to know - my girls hump each other fairly often. Your only options are keep all the babies, rehome all the babies or have her spayed next week - not sure how safe that would be as she might even be a couple of weeks pregnant by now, or she might not even be pregnant at all, hopefully. As they are only pregnant 4 weeks, you will soon know either way, so I guess it's fingers crossed she's too young - be aware they can mate through cage bars though :?

They are currently is the massive 3 level cage from Germany. I suppose they will have to take turns as to who gets to use two levels each day. Hopefully we can get an appointment tomorrow.
If she is pregnant and goes through with it we shall rehome them. We may keep one of them.
Someone is also trying to re home dwarf lops just now.

Heres hoping though...

You have done the right thing by separating them but don't try and reintroduce them until they have been neutered. I would book the male in to be neutered too, but dont put them together until 6 weeks after the op as the male can still get the female pregnant (unless she is already spayed).

Thats them in seperate cages opposite each other. There is a little space between the cages aswell. Poor sods are desperate to get together. They were never apart. As Bailey is nearly 4 months it wont be too long before we can neuter him?

Breaks my heart to see them apart. They look so lost. I am a little worried about Oakley's age in regards to a pregnancy. I'm sure the vet will advise.

Cheers

Mabs

Some vets will perform an emergency spey to stop a pregnancy but this depends on how far gone the rabbit is. I also dont know the minimum age for this procedure.

Depending on wether both baileys testicals have decended your vets may castrate him now....however unless the doe is speyed you must wait 6 weeks before reintroducing them.

Well his penis is certainly there but as of yet no sign of his goolies. There are 2 lumps that I suspect may be his. Now to see if I can get time off tomorrow.

Cheers for your replies folks. I'm off to bed. I'll update you all tomorrow.

Good morning. I have wangled lifts from my mother and I am heading in to buy some pet carriers. I shall also consult with the vet when I am in.

Time to phone the boss and inform him I won't be in...

Well his penis is certainly there but as of yet no sign of his goolies.

:shock:

I know this is not really a funny thread but oh dear I cant help it..........

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sorry :oops: I really should act my age not my shoe size :oops:

Good luck sorting out the Pet Carriers etc.....

Janex

'Twas somewhat naughty wasn't it ;)
Had pretty much no sleep last night. Both o them were determined to escape from their cages! They looks so depressed. All is sorted with my boss :) He's most understanding. It does mean however no one will be at work at the other 3 are off!

JJ: It is always better to look on the brighter side :) and I shall follow your wise words in the time to come :)
Noo den! Off to the vets for me hair to be clipped :p

Cheers again folks

Mabs

A wee update.
Took them to the vets and had them checked over.
Bailey is a boy :D he has goolies! The vet had a good check of Oakley aswell and and she cannot feel anything in there so here hoping. They are both booked in to get the snip on Friday. The vet feels confident in doing them so young as they are a fair size and hormonal as hell just noo :)

I was so nervous in there. Love me babies! Love all bunnies :D Right I better go to work!
Ooh and the check up was free :D Love my vet

Mabs

She seems really confident. I didn't need to interrogate her either. She even mention about how important it is to feed the buns before hand. Was most pleased she mentioned it.

She is lovely we the animals. She has had to deal with our rats before and didn't charge a checkup for the both of them and antibiotics for both came to 7 quid.

I wish I didn't have to work Friday and could spend all day with them. At least they will be close when the time comes. :)

I wonder if it will change Oakley for the better? She's always been very nervous..

She seems really confident. I didn't need to interrogate her either. She even mention about how important it is to feed the buns before hand. Was most pleased she mentioned it.

She is lovely we the animals. She has had to deal with our rats before and didn't charge a checkup for the both of them and antibiotics for both came to 7 quid.

I wish I didn't have to work Friday and could spend all day with them. At least they will be close when the time comes. :)

I wonder if it will change Oakley for the better? She's always been very nervous..

My vet is like that, there should be more around!!!

Mine is lovely too looked after boris for free and checked over Buster for no charge too. Glad it's all worked out now.

The two of them are running around together just noo. Supervised of course. Odd thing is Bailey doesn't want any humpinly good fun? Mabey he is trying to fool me ;) Cheeky munkies.

Well a few day to go :S

Mabs

Sleepy well folks. Got a thumping headache. Think I need glasses!! Oh no

Back