• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit Diet

OK, sorry for all the questions, hopefully this will be it for today. lol

What does everyone feed their rabbits?
What brand of hay and pellets do you use? Is there any brands you would recommend, or avoid?
For veggies, what are the best kinds that are most nutritious to bunnies, and the kinds I should avoid?
How much/how often should I feed this things?
Is there anything else you feed your rabbits?
Do rabbits need things like salt licks?

That was more questions than I intended. :oops: I just want my future bunny to be spoiled. :D

I feed mine unlimited timothy hay, oat hay and meadow hay. They get spring greens in the morning, more fresh veg at night and a handfull of the oxbox bunny basics pellets. The best rabbit food to give is the pellets and not the colourful mixes you can get in petshops, but they shouldnt have to many as the most important part of their diet is hay :D

The best thing to do is look through here, there is loads of great information :D

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=34

They dont need salt licks or mineral licks if your providing the correct diet for them :D

What does everyone feed their rabbits?

I feed my rabbit a combination of pellets and hay, with greens here and there when he will eat them. (He is very picky and turns his nose up at most greens.)

What brand of hay and pellets do you use? Is there any brands you would recommend, or avoid?

I see that you are in NY so you are familiar with american brands! I feed Crue a Purina brand product called Advance Nutrition Rabbit Chow, Show Formula. I would stay away from any pelleted diet that has anything OTHER THAN PELLETS. They do not need those mixed in treats!! I use Oxbow Hay and Kleenmama's Hayloft, out of Colorado. Their hay is LOVELY but you do have to ship it, but it is WORTH it tenfold! Address is http://www.kmshayloft.com

For veggies, what are the best kinds that are most nutritious to bunnies, and the kinds I should avoid?
I would suggest mustard greens and romaine lettuces, but carrots must not be fed daily as some thing as they aren't very good for them.

How much/how often should I feed this things?
Crue weighs about 8lbs so we give him about a 1/4th a cup of pellets every morning. Too many pellets for the body mass can mean too many caecotropes (night droppings) and get the gut all out of wack.

Hay- TONS! But, keep in mind Timothy would be best. Stay away from Alfalfa as it tends to be too high in protein. Other good hays are Meadow/Bermuda/Grass/Bluegrass hays. Make sure hay has not been sprayed or treated.

Is there anything else you feed your rabbits?
I'll give him a apple chunk or banana slice once in a while as a treat.

Do rabbits need things like salt licks?
From my knowledge, as long as they have a nutritionally sound diet, they need no supplemental feedings.

My baby has burgess excel pellets, unlimited Timothy hay and medow hay and a salt lick that he is not one bit interested in:lol:.

No veg as yet as I am terrified of him getting sick so I am waiting till has settled a bit more.

Back