• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bunny thumb nail came off - is this serious???

lucycat

Warren Scout
I was trying to do Silkys feet last night - shes a rex and I have to keep her feet plastered up otherwise they get very sore very quickly.

Anyway as I was trying to do this I looked and their was blood on my hands - i thought it was mine as she scratched me and licked it off!! Then I realised to my horror it was hers and that somehow her thumb nail had come clean off on her front paw - all of it. I was horrified I hate having to do her feet anyway but no vet has ever offered a sensible and workable solution to the plasters. It bled for a bit, I cleaned it with saltwater and put another little plaster on it which she removed by this morning. Im not sure whether I should take her to the vet just in case. I have some spare baytril and Im wondering if I should give her that (this is the vets usual solution to most things!). She seems ok hopping and eating fine; I am feeling dreadful about it though.

I think you must mean 'dew' claw, but I like calling them thumbs too!:lol:

I've had this happen 2 times in 6 months to buns I've been fostering, it doesnt seem to cause and problem though. One didnt grow back and the other is slowly growing back, just keep an eye on it, make sure its clean and not looking red and infected or smelly.

Oh, thinking about it, I did bathe them initially in salt water too, but they didnt need any further treatment.

Is that a pic of Silky in your siggy? Gorgeous bunny!! really lovely coat... sorry I don't have any experience/advice but just had to say how much i like your bunster:D

Hi there, my sister puts fleece blankets in the bottom of her Rex's hutch, and it seems to work. Her bunny's feet are absolutely fine. :D

xxx

I've had a few buns through missing their dew claw, one bun I had, Crackers, caught his whilst at mine and ripped it off. I too just bathed it with salt water and kept an eye on it. He didn't seem particularly bothered by it, just flicked his paw a few times then carried on hopping around - it was me that was in a flap!! :rolleyes:

Exactly the same thing happened to me with my Daisy last week lucycat.... her 'thumb' nail just dropped off too...I have learnt something today from Doncat5 about it being called the 'dew' claw so thanks for that! :lol: I felt like a really bad bunny mum but I think it happens quite a lot from what I have read on here.. When I rang my vet to get advice they said that it should be ok, just to keep an eye on it that it doesn't get infected.

ewwwwwwww! you licked rabbit blood! :mrgreen:
I've had this happen before - and like others have said, it should be fine... just keep an eye on it.

Back