• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How hot can the Bunnies Stand?

Dustbunny

Warren Scout
Once again, wrestling with the idea of taking Dustbunny back to the states with me... I was wondering how hot/ cold bunnies can stand? Where we'll be moving, it is swealtering in the summer, and it snows in the winter .we'll probably be able to keep him in the garage (if we have one), otherwise we'll have to keep him outside. I know you can get cooling pads, and on extremely hot days we'll probably just try to bring them in, but I don't want them to be stiffiled by the heat.... i'm talking about 90-100 F (around 30C?? not positive) on an average summer day, sometimes cooler, sometimes hotter. Advice for keeping buns comfortable?

thanks!!!

Hiya im not sure about high temps and bunnies. you can buy cooling disks for the hutch but if they are used to a cookler climate, they'l struggle. bunnies cope better in colder temps than warmer. hope that helps x

i seem to remember somewhere that 29 C (in the shade) degrees starts to become dangerous for bunnies, it might be slightly higher but you'd certainly have problems in the 30 ies. Iced water bottles, lots of shade and fans help if its only one or two days like here (oh I wish that was a problem this year) but if it's going to be every day from may to september you'd need to find another solution.

I'd imagine that once temps fall below about 4 degrees they'll need lots of warm bedding and extra protection. I don't know what you'd do if it got to high minus figures, I think you'd have to bring them indoors.

It wouldn't be a problem to bring him in on hot or cold days, we'd just probably have to get another hutch/ run for him indoors (for the long term) because of the dogs :? :? :?

Thanks for the help...

Back