• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Do rabbits lose weight when getting older?

bunniesbarnbabe

Warren Scout
I have a couple of rabbits who are getting older, Monica is 7, nearly eight and Brenda has just turned 7, both have lost some body weight. They are both eating, drinking, pooing as normal and I was wondering ir rabbits do tend to lose weight as they get older. Monica is a dutch and Brenda is British Cross.

Hi there,

I'm not sure if they lose weight, but they definately lose a bit of muscle tone. Hopefully someone with a bit more experience can help.

Gemma xx

I think a lot of weight loss (where there are no teeth problems) can sometimes be attributed to renal problems....which often develope with old age. Are they drinking more/weeing more?

definately in monicas case yes, they have both been to vets for a check up recently and the vet was not bothered about the weight loss, he said both had really good teeth and on the whole looked well for their age. Monica does have a cataract in one eye but apart from this, they are both in good health

Was her cataract put to old age too?

Do they ever have wet hind quarters or problems with their hind legs?

yes and because of her age they wont operate which is fine by me, her other eye is clear of cataracts so she gets around fine. Both of their hind quarters are fine and they are both dry
Another one of my rescue girls who is 5.5 does have probs with her hind legs and almost seems to drag them and she is always wet, i have to wash her every day. She was a rescue because the previous owners bred her late in life and i think this is what caused the leg problems.

I would just keep an eye on them, maybe weigh them once a week to monitor them?

If the drinking/weightloss increases dramatically I would consult your vet about tests to monitor renal activity.

Back