• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Slugs and Snails

JellyBelly

Mama Doe
Slugs and snails keep getting inside my hutches. The mesh on the front has big enough gaps for them to get through. I pick them out but they poo and leave trails all over the hutch.
What can i do to stop them and are they harmful to my critters?

Yaay!
Someone else has this problem!

Don't get me wrong - it's a really pesky thing to keep happening... but I'm relieved the snails aren't just targeting me and my bunny. :) My rabbit, Barney, hates snails. If there's one in his bowl, he nudges it to show me it is there and wants me to move it. He's adopted an excellent defence... Now, when he's fed, all evening whilst he eats his pellets, he practically sits IN the bowl.

I can't harm the snails, because I got stupidly attached to 'em a while ago. I intended to find and move them all - ambitious, not practical - and ended up marking a few with varnish so I'd know if it was the same ones going into his hutch [& yes, I know I have too much free time :oops:] I think the only thing that ever occurred to me was to find wire mesh with smaller squares... But even then, slugs can squeeze through really small spaces...

I had a huge problem when i first got outside pets. I always knew i had a lot of snails because they ate my plants. I got really angry one night when i counted 60 they were mainly in the run of the Guinneas but i often saw slime trails in hutches and snails in bedding just like you do.

I had to take action it was disgusting. I don't like killing things so i had 2 glasses of wine put on rubber gloves and when dark enough i couldn't see them too well i put them all in an icecream tub. (with air holes of course).

My father-in-law had come to tea that night so on his way home dropped them off at woodland area about 3 miles away. I have heard that they are homming creatures like pigeons. Probably take them a long time :lol: :lol:

I throw them over our fence to the field behind but there are hundreds.
I'm sick of scrubbing the trails off and i found a snail in Berts food bowl the other day which really :censored: me off.

No but they are on Berts carpet and i don't like it!
Someone suggested putting a gravel moat around the hutches as the slugs and snail don't like slothing across the rough surface....bit mean though!

I have this problem too :( They are getting into Trip and Scarletts hutch and leaving their trails all over the vetbed :( I nearly touched one when it was dark the other night :shock: I make my boyfriend take them all out the hutch and everytime he says this is the last time im doing this :roll: :lol:

They are only getting into the hutch with the run underneath though, Buu's hutch is a lot closer to the floor and I have never found any in her hutch or run :?

I have Paddys hutch on gravel and *touch wood* haven't found any in his hutch yet BUT I have seen them on the gravel so I think they can walk on it?!

If you don't mind killing the slugs then you can leave a small amount [and inch or 2] of beer in a jar on the ground near your hutch - the slugs will try to get to the beer and will drown - I know it sounds horrible but it's better than using slug pellets!

Either that or get a pond and some frogs.. or slow worms.. hedgehogs.. birds etc :)

I have a problem with the slugs and snails, I used to pick them up and throw them down the garden but there are so many, then they decided to eat my hop so that was it, slug pellets down, I put them in a pot under the hutches. At last the slug/snail problem has gone!

My CheeChee HATES snails and slugs......and when they get into his hutch/run, he KILLS them!!!!!:shock: :shock: :shock:

If you don't mind killing them, and have a (slightly) strong stomach, then get a spray bottle and put some vinegar in it... I've found that a bottle that won't fan the liquid out works best- just one solid stream of vinegar. We have LOADS of snails on our path to the garage (where dustbunny is), so you have to have a torch to weave your way around them. when you spray them, they fizz up into loads of little bubbles, so i'ts not very plesent. In the morning, I didn't see any, so that's always a good thing!!! hope it helps

Maybe you can change your feeding regime?

Its usually the dry and some veggies they are going in for so why not feed the dry and veggies in the morning or afternoon and remove all waste at dusk and just give plenty of hay overnight.

I have quite alot of snails in my garden, some live on the hutch roof amongst the plant pots but they never go into the hutch as there is no food other than hay and herbs over night:D

We get the occasional slug, more so whilst its been wet. i think once the weather gets better this should decread, hopefully x

marsha gets freaked out by them. she jumped on one and then ran into her run and would not come back in until we removed it.
x

Back