• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Wood protection for hutches

sillyrabbit

Wise Old Thumper
Has anyone on here used like wood protection stuff on their hutches? My brother just mentioned that I should get some stuff from B&Q to paint onto the wood. I think I kinda know what he is talking about :lol: I assume it just makes the wood last longer, but can you get such a thing that is safe for animals? :D x

Yeah you can get some kinda paint from B&Q which as a protection in it which is safe for animals my boyfriend uses it on my hutches but couldn't tell you what it is called. :lol:

wood varnish or wood stain. It goes on like paint is safe for animals and preserves your wood. It's only what's on most hutches and your furniture anyway unless they're brand new and only just made.

wood varnish or wood stain. It goes on like paint is safe for animals and preserves your wood. It's only what's on most hutches and your furniture anyway unless they're brand new and only just made.

Oh do hutches usually already have something like that on them? I have 2 happyhutches and they dont look like anything has been painted on them :D

i painted my happyhutch with i "think" cuprinol shades you can get them in any colour more or less to match your garden and it says on the tin "harmless to plants and animals".

Oh do hutches usually already have something like that on them? I have 2 happyhutches and they dont look like anything has been painted on them :D

It depends if you buy them from a garden centre or second hand they're already stained due to being kept outside, but P@H don't because they're always kept inside. But all outside ones should be stained and will either arrive that way or you will need to do it yourself.

It depends if you buy them from a garden centre or second hand they're already stained due to being kept outside, but P@H don't because they're always kept inside. But all outside ones should be stained and will either arrive that way or you will need to do it yourself.

Ok I dont think mine are then :D

Used the same as Vix - Cuprinol Garden Shades.
If you use something else, as well as checking the label that it's pet safe, make sure its also suitable for smooth planed wood - some are only ok with rough sawn timber and rub off smooth wood

Mike

Back