• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

The best pro-biotic to use?

sylvarabbit

Young Bun
Hi, :wave:
can anyone recommend a rabbit safe pro-biotic? Which is the best one to use? I have three of my rabbits on long term anti-biotics :cry: and use protexin probiotic but just wondered if Avipro would be just as good? Also I have been given the protexin sachets suitable for all animals but should I be using the bio-lapis one instead? I wondered about the bio-lapis as a long term thing as I know it replaces electrolytes etc as well so was unsure whether they sould have it all the time? :? I am very confused about the different types and would ideally like to have them on fibreplex all the time but at £12 a tube which lasts each rabbit only 3 days it is bit expensive.

Any advice would be much appreciated! Thankyou,
Kathryn :)

Hi Kathryn :wave:

Avipro-C is a good probiotic for longterm use. Maybe you could Fibreplex them ( I've just made a verb out of a noun :shock: :lol: ) once a month too :? Although as long as they are all eating lots of hay that may not really be necessary.

Janex

Thankyou Jane,
is Avipro-C different from ordinary Avipro? Two of the rabbits ( Douglas & Isla) are good hay eaters but Wilhemina is a dreadful eater, she has no incisors and hardly any molars left so finds it diffcult to eat anything but SS pellets. I give her fibreplex once a week at the moment as she does have tummy problems :roll:

I will try and source out some Avipro-C for them - thankyou again,
Kathryn x:)

Thankyou Jane,
is Avipro-C different from ordinary Avipro? Two of the rabbits ( Douglas & Isla) are good hay eaters but Wilhemina is a dreadful eater, she has no incisors and hardly any molars left so finds it diffcult to eat anything but SS pellets. I give her fibreplex once a week at the moment as she does have tummy problems :roll:

I will try and source out some Avipro-C for them - thankyou again,
Kathryn x:)

If you get your Avipro from Vetark then the Avipro-C they sell is called 'Avipro-Plus'

Janex

I use Avipro-Plus. My lot have been on it for 3 years now and I've never had problem with them not drinking water with it in or eating food with it sprinkled on.

It is cost effective too, a tub lasts a good 6 months or more.

I use Avipro-Plus prebiotic. Its really good and the best bit is that they seem to like the taste of it in their water...always a plus!!:D

Thankyou for your replies - perhaps I am being extra dim today but I am getting confused again!
I went to the online vetark store ( noahscupboard) and they have Avipro-Plus as well as ProC probiotic - which should I be buying??!
Thanks again for your help!
Kathryn x

I've got the 'Pro-C probiotic' from Vetark and it's safe for bunnies, I don't know the difference between the 2 though!

Back