• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Do rabbits go grey?

Might be difficult to tell with my 2 grey bunnies! :lol:

:lol: :lol: I was thinking that with Darcy!! But I've noticed some pics of buns on here who are black with slight flecks of grey strands. I just wondered if this was a universal bun age process? Or just camera flash effect!!:lol:

As buns get older do they go grey like we do? How can you tell how old a bunster is? :?

Its often really noticeable in dark coloured buns, poor Silver's nose and both ears are almost all white/pale grey now :(

But in general, how do you tell a rabbit's age? At local SPCA, they "guess" at the age of a rabbit, but I'm concern the guess is made by volunteer staff who doesn't know much, and their guess could be off by a few years.

Greying is caused by molecular decay which comes with age and so anything that lives long enough for this decay to occur (ie to the end of their life expectancy) will go grey and then white.

Little bit of science for you.

I didn't think they did but I could be wrong. It is notoriously difficult and sometimes impossible to tell the age of a rabbit. I have three buns that are of unknown age - two cos the owner didn't know and one cos he was a stray.

I had a black and white broken marked mini lop who I bred myself and had for almost 14 years. His fur did start to go white around the edges of the black bits. His fur also changed texture - it was dry and thick -like with some old cats ;)

If you don't know their history though I would think unless the rabbit is very, very, old looking or young looking those inbetween are most difficult! :lol:

Last edited:
Benny is a grey bunny, but recently I've noticed he has flecks of white that seem to be appearing. Not sure if its because of aging or whether his coat is changing - Benny is around 3 yrs old.

Incidentally, Millie our hamster was grey and white when we got her. Now the grey bits are turning brown. It may be that buns coats just change over time. :?

Benny is a grey bunny, but recently I've noticed he has flecks of white that seem to be appearing. Not sure if its because of aging or whether his coat is changing - Benny is around 3 yrs old.

Incidentally, Millie our hamster was grey and white when we got her. Now the grey bits are turning brown. It may be that buns coats just change over time. :?

Darcy's coat is seasonal as well. He is dark grey during the winter and during the Summer he becomes light brown with grey bits. :D

Greying is caused by molecular decay which comes with age and so anything that lives long enough for this decay to occur (ie to the end of their life expectancy) will go grey and then white.

Little bit of science for you.

Heavens, I noticed I've got some grey strands in my hair....does that mean i'm for knackers yard already then??:shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:

My 2 and half year old girl is black with little grey flecks on her sides, and my boy Danzig who is white, has recently got a little grey nose though he's just over 1 year old!

Back