• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

still no better........

kat_g

Warren Scout
i posted yesterday cos my bunny wasnt well. she still isnt much better and im really worried. Took her back to work today (at vets) and vet said there's not much else we can do other than carry on with infacol and metoclopramide inj (which i am giving 2-3 times daily now). Vet also said she cant have a blockage cos she would be going rapidly downhill if she did and her abdomen would be constantly bloated (whereas it goes softer and then bloated and soft again etc). She eats very little (just a few nibbles) so im syringing warm water and recovery.
Wanted to ask, how often can i administer infacol and how much? Ive been giving 1-2mls as and when but is there a set dose rate?

yeah she was wormed about march time and the rate is 2-4 times per year. my other rabbit (who lives with her) is completely fine. I mean, she's not any worse which is good, but she's not really picking up that much. Trying to read up on the net and hydration seems to be most important. I have been giving her 10mls ish of warm water at a time.

ok, just checked the calendar and it was january she was wormed! so due now really. Obviously dont want to be giving it to her now though. Rabbits dont get worms very commonly, do they?

I'm sorry to hear she's still poorly I hope she perks up soon :(

Maybe I should know the answer to this but should all rabbits be wormed? :oops:

i think as a rule, bunnies do not need worming as its not very often we see a bunny with worms. I used the new panacur wormer on by bunnies for the prevention of e.cuniculi and it just happens that it is a wormer too. The drug company says we should worm 2-4 times per year.
The worst thing is, im a vet nurse and im always telling people to syringe their bunnies if their not eating etc etc.... but when its one of your own, its hard to take what would be your own advice, o not ony do i want to hear it from other people on here, but people on here always know of things that the vets dont (like the infacol!) so it really helps to ask people on here. Its so scary when its your own bunny. I just want her to be ok, what if she's not??

I think your bun is lucky to have a knowedgable owner like you and the easy access to a vet. My bun did have the same signs as yours last week and in addition to the metoclopramide ( i had syrup?) i also had to give her fibreplex 3 times a day (if that didn't work they were going to give me the recovery stuff). You and others know way more than me but just though I'd mention it. :(

I asked my vet about worming them, and would it prevent e-cuniculi, but she said the dose needed to be higher for e-c, so it wouldn't work - I was wondering if your bunny has e-c but I guess as you work at a vets you must have got it right - I wasn't really taking much notice of what my vet said at the time as my rabbit had other problems. Hope she gets better as it sounds like you've thought of all the obvious things.

The infacol website says that it can be given freely to babies, as simethicone isn't absorbed into the body at all.

Another thread yesterday mentioned liquidising hay and syringing that, as fibre is really what will sort her stomach out, since it will make an environment which is less friendly for the bad bacteria causing the gas - might be worth a try although I guess you would need to cut the end off a syringe to make it go through.

Realistically at the moment no-one really knows whether regular 9 day courses of Panacur can prevent a case of active EC and at what dosage. It's a case of trial and error till further studies can be done.

ive been using a big 50ml syringe as it has a much wider tip (its called a catheter tip) so much easier to syringe. Would advise anyone to ask for a catheter tip syringe, esp for things like recovery that dont actually syringe that well! Not all vets will have them hough. We are a mixed practice (meaning we deal with farm animals too) and that is why we have the larger syringes. She's still no worse or better but im trying to syringe more into her as she has very rumbly guts! Ive been giving the infacol before each feed as it says on the data sheet to do that with babies!
I really appreciate everyone's help and support!

Back