• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How do I manage to go through so much hay?!

Morrigan1981

Mama Doe
Seriously?! :shock:

I have two rabbits and they easily get through a bag of the dust free hay in a week. I've seen a few posts on here recently where people with more buns than me manage to make their hay last twice the amount of time mine does... I'm starting to think I'm being far too generous with it :oops:

Frankie will seriously clear a BIG handful of hand in an hour: he's constantly chomping hay, even when he's out in the run (and this is the bun that suffered GI statis!)

How much hay does everyone else feed: Two or three big handfuls morning and night? More? Less? :?

there's no such thing as being too generous with hay :D rest in the knowledge that your buns will avoid all the pitfalls that occur through not being such good hay munchers :)

My rabbit is upping his hay intake recently. Which is great - he's starting to moult and always likes to worry me about now with a GI stasis scare. I put him out on the grass all day, but ay night he'll still eat most, if not all, of the hay I give him. And I've now had to force 3/4 big handfuls of the stuff into his hayrack.

I need to buy more.

Jenny and Frankie are great hay eaters and I'm not really moaning about that (after having a dental bun who refused to eat hay I know I'm very, very lucky!) I just noticed that a lot of peeps on here don't go through half as much as I do!

Frankie is part rabbit, part piranha fish: everything vaguely chewable that lands in front of him disappears in a flurry of nibbling. The hay doesn't stand a chance :D

When I go out in the morning there's usually some hay left, but it's been trodden right down and wee'd on, so I remove that and replace it with fresh. I've often wondered if I should be harder on them and left it to make sure they eat it all and waste less by tredding it down, but it doesn't seem fair to get them to eat manky hay :?

They should have roughly their body size in hay every day - so I give mine a bundle about half as big as their body twice a day - seeing as they sit on it there's not much point giving it all in one go - and it keeps them amused - it's by far the best toy a rabbit can have :)

I've learnt not to pile their litter trays up too high with hay, as they just ignore the older bits, so I put a thin layer in their trays and top up twice a day. Mine are hay monsters too, which is great. They have hanging baskets as hay racks, and never get to the bottom of them, they just eat the top, so I tend to fill the bottom with naff hay, and top up with fresh hay twice a day.
With my 5 buns, I get through a bale a week approximately, probably a bit more.

I get through stacks too. I try to mix it up a bit - I've just put a big handful of green oat hay in, which they've got all excited about, but I do put loads of dust free in at a time. Some of it gets trampled under foot, but I don't think too much gets wasted.

Hmm.. I think maybe I need to add it more frequently rather than just putting it all in as one lot: at the moment I add fresh hay morning and night, but maybe first thing in the morning, when I get home from work and last thing at night would be better..

Cool idea btw, using hanging baskets as hay racks! :D

I get through stacks too. I try to mix it up a bit - I've just put a big handful of green oat hay in, which they've got all excited about, but I do put loads of dust free in at a time. Some of it gets trampled under foot, but I don't think too much gets wasted.

:lol: Mine get really excited about the green oat hay too, I know exactly what you mean!

my buns have their big hayrack (long outside hanging basket) filled everyone few days and they also have their litter tray packed with hay (2-3 sort of handfuls but more a handful with a load of trailing hay :? :lol: ) and that is refreshed daily sometimes they will also have an extra handful or two at night then they also get hay stuffed in toys and loo rolls and flower pots etc and in the morning they get a small bowl each of a selection of forage, pellets and the naturals herb bags

My bunny does not seem to eat much hay, but he is little (270g) I worry he may not be eating enough hay and try to make it exciting. I think it' cause my pigs eat so much, they are little gannets!! Then i have the 2 horses that obviously can chomp their way through a bail of hay very quickly!

Is there any way i can encourage Oscar to eat more hay? Or am I just expecting him to eat the same as a 1.25kg guinea pig!! :shock:

xx

I can't believe how much of all food we get through now we have 3 buns instead of just the one.

At least all the time they are eating lots of yummy hay they are not eating highly expensive pellets/mix.

I get through a bale every 4 weeks or so. I use it for food only so we have very little waste and I do feed a lot of dried grass as well. :)

Louise

I get through quite alot of hay and ive only got two. They eat loads but id rather that then it got to waste and them eat loads of pellets. They are 12 weeks this sat, im excited.

HAY ROCKS. and it smells lovely x

Back