• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bindi has got the vets puzzled!

JIMGRACIE

Mama Doe
My lively, boxing bunny is giving us all something to think about....The vet has seen her and i have rang two different vets, and even asked my manager who is a trained vet nurse, and we are all so confused.

So heres Bindis symptoms:

• Thursday - collecting everything that she can and putting it all in one corner. Nest building. Not totally abnormal for her,but everything was in the corner this time.
  • Saturday - She has eaten very little (if anything). She seems to be grooming herself more then usual, and not doing an awful lot else.

The vet can't see anything physically wrong with her, and can't hear/feel anything abnormal going on inside.

The only other possibility we can think of is that she may well have not been spayed properly, and that she is still producing hormones causing her to have a phantom pregnancy. And shes depressed so shes not eating.

This is a little scary as its totally not like Bindi. So was wondering if anyone else had experienced anything like this before?

There has been other spayed bunnies on the forum that have phantom pregnancies, so I wouldn't worry unless it goes on a long time - My girls are not spayed, and their phantoms only last a few days - Be sure to leave her nest intact, or she will only get distressed and build another. I leave my girls nests for a week or so, by which time they've lost interest.

My girls sometimes don't want to leave the nest to eat either, so I feed them in the nest. Hopefully she'll be back to normal soon :)

An incomplete spay can mean that some ovarian tissue has been left and so she would still get hormonal fluctuations. In my experience a spayed Doe that has a pseudo-pregnancy often has a concurent health problem causing them stress. An abdominal ultra-sound may give a clue as to whether an ovary was missed during the spay.

Janex

Ok. Bindi has eaten her vegetables today. Hasn't touched her dry food. She also went out in the run (as the sun was shining) and she ate some yummy dandilions.

Spoke to my manager again, on phone. And she said that they do blood tests on dogs and cats for oestrogen levels, so maybe they can do it on rabbits. Going to ring the vets tomorrow, to see if its possible.

I can't really add much to what others have said but i just wanted to say, good luck and i hope it's nothing serious!

Keep us updated :)

Okies, Bindi is officially a weirdo!!! :lol:

All food all gone today. And shes totally back to boxing anyone or anything that aproaches her.

The vets have suggested that stress is reduced as much as possible, and we have decided that if this happens again then she will be taken in for tests...and in the mean time it ahs given the vets something to think about.

Back