• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Unwell Spayed Rabbit - need help

Scampy

New Kit
:cry:

We had our baby girl spayed Yesterday and at 5am this morning noticed blood in with her urine.

We went to the vet at 11am today after she passed blood again at 10.15am.

The vet said she was confident that the bleeding was not from the spay as it had gone well.

She gave bunny, anti inflammatories, pain killers and something to get her eating.

Scamp has so far eaten a tiny bit of water cress, the blood seems to be fading and she is drinking water but not touching her pellets.

We were given drops to administer orally but I cannot get her to take these by syringe so have put them in some liquid food she was perscibed but she hasnt eaten this either.

What should I do?

Did the Vet prescribe antibiotics? Its sounds as though Scamp may have a Urinary Tract Infection if the Vet is CERTAIN the haematuria is not a result of the spay.

What are the 'drops' you have to administer? If they are actually antibiotics then its important to get them into Scamp. I'd suggest wrapping Scamp up securely in a towel whilst holding her on your lap. It often helps if the Buns eyes are covered so thaey cant see the syringe approaching. If the 'drops' are just a tiny dose then its often better to give it neat. It may not taste too good but its soon done. Dipping the end of the syringe into a tiny bit of Jam or Honey may disguise the taste and smell.

Janex :)

Last edited:
Once you can work out the best way of holding the bunny, it isn't so hard to syringe medicine in. I do find it is a 2 person job though - my husband holds them and I syringe it in (in the side, behind the teeth).

I thought urinary tract infection too. :?

its half a ml of anti-inflammatory. But I have to confess we are not very good handlers and she is very skitty, I will give her another hour to see if she eats the liquid food and will then try and force feed it her with the syringe.

Just been on the phone to my mum and she said its not my fault if the rabbit dies but if I cant get her to take her medication it will be wont it? :cry:

If the vet doesn't think it's a problem with the spay what did he/she think it was? :? They can't think it's an infection, or you'd be given antibiotics.

I think if the blood's gone, and you haven't been given antibiotics, you should just forget about syringing it into her as it will majorly stress her, and she could tear her stitches struggling. Concentrate on getting her eating and drinking for now - anything she fancies - grass and dandelions are good if she's had them before. They usually go off dry food totally for a couple of days, and can't sit on hay, so that gets left in a rack usually. Try water in a dish near her, and if she won't eat then bat her on the nose with the grass or whatever as that usually makes them snatch at it and eat it.

It sounds like the drops are metacam - is that what it says on the bottle? It's a painkiller so don't overdose her on it - she shouldn't need more painkiller till tomorrow as they give a big dose as part of surgery. If she's in pain she won't eat though, and will look hunched up and miserable, so you are the best judge of that.

Just thought I would say a quick thank you for your replies yesterday.

Scamp ate some greens, the blood cleared up but she got a touch of the runs, she is currently munching on the complimentary food we put in with her pellets so hopefully she will eat a few pellets at the same time.

She is still quite sore and no where near ready to leave her hutch - she hasnt even tried bless her!

Update

Just wanted to say that we were at the vets again last night where I owned up to not being able to give her metacam as the vet wanted to continue with it for another week as bun was still slightly swollen.

She recommended we put the metacam in sugar free ribena but this failed so I am afraid I was a naught mummy and put the metacam on a slice of bananna which she ate with suspicion.

Tonight I have cut a tiny whole in the bananna and placed it in there and she has wolfed it down.

I think she is slowly getting back to her normal self so fingers crossed!

You could also try a fresh raspberry as the hole is really handy for getting a drop or two of metacalm in. :)

Back