• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Chaos' teeth are growing so quickly :(

Jocelyn

Mama Doe
Considering this poor boy only had his dental on Tuesday and the vet cut them as short as possible, in that amount of time they've grown so much it's really worrying. At this rate he's going to need another dental in a week or 2 max :-/ It seems his incisors really are misaligned because his lower incisors are growing in front of the upper incisors.

I'm worried for him because these boys are so nervous I don't know how they're going to cope with repeated visits to the vets :(

Could you not have his incisors removed? They manage really well without them and it'd save the stress of repeated trips :)

Could you not have his incisors removed? They manage really well without them and it'd save the stress of repeated trips :)

My vet did talk about that option - I've read about it too, but I was under the impression that they only do that after establishing that the dentals aren't helping. I'll call them up on Monday and ask about it - I don't think having to have his teeth burred every 2-3 weeks is fair on him at all, and I doubt it'll help him be rehomed :(

His molars had to be burred too when he had his incisors done - can these be removed too? I'm so worried, as I can't see his back teeth and the spurs on his teeth are on the inside towards his tongue so it's hard to tell when they're going to need doing :-/

Mary had his incisors burred down for a couple of months before we decided to have them removed, but my next two with malloclussion had them removed pretty much straight away (had it done the same time they were neutered) as the difference in Mary was superb - even straight after he had his teeth burred down he couldn't really use them very well because they didn't line up right for him to bite things and he'd just get hay and fur stuck inbetween the bottom two teeth.
You can remove molars but this can cause more problems if the molars either side start growing in towards the now empty gap - plus you'd need to remove the top/bottom molar opposite as it'd have no tooth to wear against.
You can help the wear of the molars by changing the diet to a high fibre one - lots of hay (timothy is good as it has abrasive little silica beads in it), grass and leafy veg like carrot tops, spring greens, etc (rather than carrot, cauliflower, etc and fruit) and once you're in a routine you'll soon learn how often he'll need them doing (usually less than incisors anyway) and hopefully increase the time between them as the diet works it's trick on the wear of the teeth. You may be able to find a vet that can burr spurs down without GA though I'm a bit on the fence about it - access to a rabbit's mouth is hard enough with GA and although without it is better for the rabbit the chance of them slipping or missing a spur is probably higher without GA.

Mary had his incisors burred down for a couple of months before we decided to have them removed, but my next two with malloclussion had them removed pretty much straight away (had it done the same time they were neutered) as the difference in Mary was superb - even straight after he had his teeth burred down he couldn't really use them very well because they didn't line up right for him to bite things and he'd just get hay and fur stuck inbetween the bottom two teeth.
You can remove molars but this can cause more problems if the molars either side start growing in towards the now empty gap - plus you'd need to remove the top/bottom molar opposite as it'd have no tooth to wear against.
You can help the wear of the molars by changing the diet to a high fibre one - lots of hay (timothy is good as it has abrasive little silica beads in it), grass and leafy veg like carrot tops, spring greens, etc (rather than carrot, cauliflower, etc and fruit) and once you're in a routine you'll soon learn how often he'll need them doing (usually less than incisors anyway) and hopefully increase the time between them as the diet works it's trick on the wear of the teeth. You may be able to find a vet that can burr spurs down without GA though I'm a bit on the fence about it - access to a rabbit's mouth is hard enough with GA and although without it is better for the rabbit the chance of them slipping or missing a spur is probably higher without GA.

Thanks for that :) The poor sausage didn't have access to hay where he came from as far as we're aware and isn't a great fan of it - though I've managed to get him to eat a little bit this morning which is progress!

Like your bunny his teeth don't line up to bite properly so he's not even really using them - I will keep an eye but I think I will push for the vet to take them out [although my vet is great - I'm pretty certain if it's the right thing to do then he'll tell me]. My vet does dentals under sedation unless he feels a GA is necessary, he is very rabbit savvy though and I trust him implicitly.

He does love spring greens though - I have to rip it into tiny squares and make sure his brother [who can scoff far quicker than he can :roll: ] doesn't steal all of it! I'll grab a bit grass from the garden and see what he makes of it :)

Back