• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

3 sick bunnies today :-( Clover, Nell and Marcy

Fionabun

Mama Doe
Oh dear. I have a problem on my hands. Clover is still not eating after her dental. And when I went down this morning to give them all their breakfasts, I found Nell and Marcy in stasis. Marcy has gas and a puffy belly, Nell has that horrible doughy belly that I have come to recognise and hate. :cry:

What is going on on? The only thing I can think of with Nell and Marcy is that they had quite a lot of rocket last night, they often have it but not quite so much of it as I had run out of vegetables. But of course, I am worried about other things too, ? the dreaded EC

I spoke to the vet as they were all due their myxi vaccines today, well obviously not getting them now, but he is letting me treat them at home. I am NOT taking Marcy and Nell in this state as they are very very ill bunnies and would quite honestly only get what I am being allowed to give them here. And I know what I need to keep doing for Clover. I spoke to soon about Clover her being in stasis, she is much closer to that today. Its such a lesson in really how much they need when being syringe fed. Her poos were few and far between and like coffee granules this morning.

They have all had combinations of Infacol, Prepulsid, Metacam, fluids and syringe feeding and heat pads.

Please send any spare vibes you might have. I am well stressed!

Fiona x

Oh my God, Fiona. This is awful - I can't imagine how stressed you must be. Surely this must be the dreaded EC.

Sometimes I think the only way to keep mine clear of it is to have Panacur every bloomin' day!!

Oh my God, Fiona. This is awful - I can't imagine how stressed you must be. Surely this must be the dreaded EC.

Sometimes I think the only way to keep mine clear of it is to have Panacur every bloomin' day!!

Thanks Sarah! Supposed to be working today but getting to work from home. Thank god, will not be doing any work at this rate.

Wish I could help :(

Out of interest, how long has it been since Nell and Marcy had Panacur? This whole 28 day course then it's gone for ages thing just doesn't seem to be the case at all.

Oh God Fiona!:shock:
Poor you & poor bunnies:(

Sounds like you`re doing everything you can for them. Sending buckets loads of healing vibes & calming ones for you.......................

Su.x

Wish I could help :(

Out of interest, how long has it been since Nell and Marcy had Panacur? This whole 28 day course then it's gone for ages thing just doesn't seem to be the case at all.

I can't even remember properly. Nell since last September, Marcy only finished about 2 months back

I am hoping its gas but a bit of a coincidence? I'm just going to blast them all with it again. I'm starting not to care about what the vet says. He is sitting on the fence about it. I hope the fence spike pokes him up the bum

Oh Lordy! :shock:
Just read. Sending lots of vibes to your unwell bunsters.
I hope they perk up soon x

I know what you mean - I have heard the same stuff from my vet for months. ie. 'we don't really know how long a course of Panacur is needed, or how quickly it can reoccur'. When I saw him last Friday he wanted to put Clover on another 9 days, but when I noticed DUsty's head tilt I put her on the 9 day course myself.

What a worry for you. Sendign lots of get well vibes to the bunsters, and hugs to you.

oh goodness.. i do hope Marcy, Nell and Clover all improve soon and start eating and pooing again.

I don't know if this may help at all, but I was talking with my vet yesterday about EC and Panacur, and he said he is not in agreement with the Panacur rep in saying that buns should be routinely wormed twice a year. What he then said is that horses and dogs are wormed with two DIFFERENT wormers over a year and rabbits are in effect small horses.

So (after long winded explanation) would trying them on a different wormer be of any help with regards the EC treatment??

Really hope you get to the bottom of this.

I'm so sorry to hear about your bunnies. I know it's a terrible stress, I've had similar in the last couple of months.

It is just so hard to pin down what's causing the problem.

Lots of healing vibes

FC x

HI there! Good news in part. There has been an improvement in Nell and Marcy. Nell's belly popped loudly at 1pm and she munched straight into the food :D . I had to syringe feed Marcy again and again today, I left her at 2pm and returned to find her looking for her breakfast at 5pm :D

However, Clover is a poorly little rabbit still. I definitely don't think she needed a dental :cry: after all. I think something else is up but don't know what, perhaps anyway. She literally has not touched a drop of anything. She is spayed (over a year ago) and eats a good diet normally, her pee seems ok. Only thing I can identify is that she has peed a few times in her run recently and I wonder if that was incontinence. But of course, could be looking into it a bit too much, she is prone to stress and could be taking a while to get over her GA. Here's hoping anyway. She is being syringe fed and given all the meds and I am going to add in Panacur, vet doesn't mind

Well done to Nell and Marcy, come on Clover, you can do it!

Back