• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Molly wont eat post-spey

Sooz

Wise Old Thumper
Please send us vibes our poor girl has been through so much with her emaciation and pneumonia. We worried she wouldnt survive the op but shes a fighter and pulled through yet now she is listless and refusing all food.

We lost one bunny during a spey today....my heart will break if we loose Molly too. :cry:

Sending lots of vibes to Molly. :)

I'm the other way round. Snowy's eating but hasn't toileted overnight or this morning. :? She's eating her pellets now and if she hasn't done anything after that I will be giving pain relief and infacol on vets advice.

Louise

Has Molly had adequate analgesia? Is she still on a heat pad?
Both the above will help an post spay anorexic Rabbit. She may also need some Metoclopromide, particularly if this was not administered by the Vet after surgery.

I do hope Molly starts eating very soon

Janex

How is Molly today? your vet should have given her adequate painkiller to last until today, but she will now need a top up, get your vet to give you some metacam for her. Rabbits here often refuse food after op's but will dive into parsley for some reason without any hesitation!

I hope she is okay xxx

I got 25mls of apple&pear baby food diluted with water and with added probiotic, soluble fibre and metacam down her at 1 am. She then ate a little lettuce and water melon.

Checked on her every few hours and she ate some lettuce, spinach and cucumber around 6am. Wouldnt eat breakfast but nibbled some hay around mid day and just as I was about to feed some more baby mix she started on her greens again.

She now seems to be eating well but will keep a close eye on her.

Hope Snowy has perked up to Louise.

PS she did have adequate pain relief and a gut stimulant at the vets.

Great news Molly has perked up! :D

Snowy had us a bit worried yesterday as she wouldn't toilet. After some more pain relief and some Infacol we finally got poo's last night. She's bright as a button today. :D

Louise

Molly is most definitely feeling better today, wolfing down all I put infront of her.

She does however look like she has lost weight again.....and her coat still appears malnurished. :?

Hello!:wave:

So glad Molly is eating and better!

When Lily was speyed she had trouble getting back to eating and refused water for 24 hours :cry:

Managed to get her through it and over those days the vet found out just waht a worried bunny mummy was!

She's back to her notmal self now!

Just a note the vet warned me that post spey they put on weight more easily so you might have to watch her diet :bunny:

Back