• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Blood in urine

Lillian

Warren Veteran
Hi can someone please help. My female rabbit hattie who is now 18 weeks old has been urinating blood today. I've had females before and the only time i've witnessed it happening before was when my rabbit Tiffany started bleeding and by the next day she had a litter of babies. Is it normal for rabbits to bleed, is it menstruation? Because my females Tilly, Tiffany, Basil and Lily never showed obvious signs of menstruation. Or could it be illness or pregnancy? Should i be worrying? Please reply asap

Are you sure it's blood? Sometimes they wee red if they've had dandelions. Rabbits don't menstruate though, so it's not that.

Yeah, rabbits who eat a lot of greens (such as danderlions, clover (I think) and/or carrots) tend to have redish urine.
I see it a lot with Sasuke (I guess both may have it but espesially good with him) as he sprays a lot, which ended up in his entire pen and Zakura's (by the time the were right next to each other) being filled with red spots. Zakura too:roll: I ended up having to clean her ears out at one point.

It's not from eating greens because she's only just started being fed on small amounts of carrot at the moment. It certainly looks like blood. There are spots of it around her shed aswell:?

I think i would be inclined to visit the vet.Its definately not normal if it is blood.

As others have said it may not be blood but very dark orangey red wee. If it is blood are you sure its being passed in her urine and not inher faeces or from an injury to a toe-nail ?
How is the Bun behving in herself? Is she bright, active and eating/pooing normally?
If you are CERTAIN she has hematuria then she needs Veterinary attention

Janex

I just went out to visit Hattie. Its definatly passed in urine, she weed on a paving slab in the garden, so i checked it, i am quite sure it is blood. I've checked her all over for any injuries and found nothing. Except mid stomach she has a lump under the skin, it is squishy and moves about a cm if i touch it. She didnt seem to noticed, so i dont think it is hurting her :? but still that isnt a good sign. :shock: im really starting to worry now! She is active and eating as normal. She's being pretty agressive if anyone goes near her shed. Now i really dont know what to think:( She has a vets appointment in a few days for her injections and to discuss spaying.

my rabbits pass red wee if they've eaten guinea pig food, i was told it was something to do with getting rid of the extra vitamin c

those are not blood. When they eat exotic plants, their urine color change to burgundy.

To solve the mystery, stop giving her any green for the next 2 days, her urine w/ back to normal

Not wishing to scare but that was the first sign Tinky had before we found the tumour that took her.

Mind you, as your rabbit is so much younger it may not be that.

I'd echo the others though, go to the Vet urgently and get it checked -better be safe than sorry.

Back