• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Any Bunny Geneticists Here?

Jack's-Jane

Wise Old Thumper
If so can you tell me if it's possible for a REW Lop Doe, 'normal' coat and an uppy eared 'grey longer coated' Buck to produce :

An uppy eared normal coated mostly black Bun (approx 1.5kg), a Cashmere-type coated harlequin coloured lop ( approx 2kg) and a Black Otter coloured normal coated Lop (approx 1kg)

:? :?

Janex

I guess it would depend on the parents of the parents? I'm not very good at genetics, I have a Poodle breeder friend who has researched lots and lots into dog colour genetics so I could ask her to see if she has a clue?!:? :lol:

When I was younger I had accidental litters with a NZW male and a cross bred Siamese Sable female, she produced REW's, Siamese Sables, Fawns, Sooty Fawns and Greys, oh and a black!

Last edited:
Yes, because *This may be wrong* REW is a recessive gene so one of the REW's parents should have been a Black carrying the REW gene from a grandparent or great grandparent.

I've seen a black and orange Harlequin produce two pale Harlequins and a pure black

I may be very wrong as it's been at least four years since I last looked at Genetics

I think the ears and the length of coats can come from both bunnies.

The colour is more complicated but I'll use humans first.

eg. (very simplified) Blue eyes are usually recessive. Humans inherit 2 genes for eye colour. Call Blue A and Brown B

AA + AA = AA (All babies have blue eyes)
AA + AB = AA or AB (Half blues eye, half brown)
AB + AB = AA, AB or BB (Quarter blue, 3 quarters brown)
AB + BB = AB or BB (All brown)

buns are more complicated and have 4 genes AABBCCDD (and variations of) capitals are dominent,

A - A (Agouti), at (otter and tan) and a
B - Black (B) or brown (b)
C - Full colour (C), chd (chincilla), ch (himalayan), chi (sable)
D - D (strong colour), d (weak e.g lilacs and blues)
E - Extrension of colour along shaft.

REW must have "cc" (recessive but when together erase all other colouring so becomes completely dominent to A,B and D, E). They can have any A, B or D combination

Black must have the following genes ABCDE
Otter must have "at"
Harlequin must have Chd (ressessive but dominent to c)

The answer is that it is very possible for those colour combinations to occue. You REW could be A or At and as long as your grey has CHd somewhere you can get the harlequin. If you bred the rew with a rew however, all you would get is a rew.

Back